Orange chocolate bundt cake is a dreamy combination of sweet chocolate and zesty orange in a moist and decadent cake.
This chocolate cake with orange extract frosting will bring you back to your childhood.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
As a child, opening my Christmas stocking and pulling out a Terry’s Chocolate Orange was always one of the highlights of the holiday season.
The magical combination of sweet chocolate and the fresh zing of orange was a flavor combination that my taste buds couldn’t get enough of.
Fast forward many years later, and I still crave chocolate and orange treats!
This simple chocolate orange cake recipe made with cake mix is simply irresistible and checks all the boxes for the flavors I crave.
Since it’s made with a box mix, baking the cake with some sour cream gives it a heavenly texture. It’s moist and decadent, just like my homemade chocolate sour cream bundt cake, but the addition of orange takes it to a whole new level of goodness.
This chocolate orange cake is going to be your new favorite cake recipe for the holidays!
More Easy Yet Decadent Cake Recipes:
- Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Instant Pot Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Easy Chocolate Fudge Cake
Making Chocolate Cake With Orange Extract
The secret to making an incredible orange-flavored cake is the orange extract.
Orange extract is made from real oranges, so it has an incredibly concentrated flavor. You certainly could juice and zest oranges but using orange extract will save you a ton of time, and you know the flavor will be just right every time.
To make the orange flavor stand out, we’re adding the extract to the chocolate cake PLUS putting it in the frosting as well.
You are going to love the perfect pairing of flavors in this cake.
How to Make an Orange Chocolate Bundt Cake
It’s really easy to make this Terry’s Chocolate Orange Cake.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
For the Cake:
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- Sour Cream
- Vegetable Oil
- Hot Water
- Orange Extract
- Mini Chocolate Chips
For the Frosting:
- Prepared Chocolate Frosting (from a can)
- Orange Extract
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Prepare the Cake Pan. First, you’ll grease a bundt pan and lightly dust it with cocoa powder.
Make The Cake Batter. Then, you’ll combine cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, and eggs in a stand mixer until smooth. Add the hot water and mix until combined and then add the orange extract. Finish by adding in the chocolate chips and stirring until just incorporated.
Bake the Cake. Next, you’ll pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake it for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before inverting on a serving plate.
Frost and serve. Last, you’ll melt the frosting in a microwave-safe bowl for about 30 seconds. Stir in the orange extract until well combined.
Continue to melt the frosting in 10-second increments until it is pourable.
Spoon or drizzle over the cooled cake before serving.
Notes and Adaptations:
- For chocolate cakes, I prefer to dust my bundt pan with cocoa powder, but you can use flour (or baking spray) if preferred.
- Orange extract can be found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores, near the other extracts and flavorings.
- To make cupcakes with this recipe, divide batter among 24 prepared muffin liners and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Additional garnish ideas include wedges of a Terry’s Chocolate Orange or some candied orange slices.
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- Bundt pan
Chocolate Orange Cake
This decadent dessert is like eating a Terry's Chocolate Orange, but in cake form!
- For the Cake:
- 15.25-oz box devil's food cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 TBSP orange extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- For the Frosting:
- 16-oz can of prepared chocolate frosting
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a bundt pan and dust it lightly with cocoa powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, and eggs. Mix on low speed until smooth.
- Add hot water and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds, or until the water is incorporated, then increase to medium-high speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add orange extract and mix to combine.
- Decrease the mixer speed to low, then add mini chocolate chips, stirring just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or about 35 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before using a knife to loosen the edges of the cake. Invert onto a serving plate to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cooled, scoop frosting out into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds, then stir. Add in the orange extract and continue to microwave in 10-second increments, stirring each time, until the frosting is pourable.
- Spoon or drizzle the frosting over the cake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!
Leave a Reply