Easy baked chicken and rice is a comforting, flavorful, fuss-free feast that will have you reaching for seconds.
No-peek chicken and rice casserole is a savory, easy-to-make dish that’s perfect for cozy family dinners or busy weeknight indulgence.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Making comforting food is my love language, and I am always on the hunt for recipes that are not just easy to whip up but also pack a punch of flavor.
This easy no-peek chicken and rice will leave your taste buds dancing–and it’s a dish the whole family will enjoy!
Warm and hearty chicken and rice casserole is a tasty combination of tender chicken, perfectly cooked rice, and the flavorful addition of homemade (or canned, we won’t judge!) cream of chicken soup.
This recipe is practically foolproof and comes together easily. It’s the kind of dish that makes you look like a kitchen rockstar without breaking a sweat.
This simple casserole is perfect for a cozy family feast, a potluck dinner, or for sending off with someone who needs a little comfort.
And if you prefer using your Instant Pot over baking a casserole, you’ll love my Creamy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice.
With this simple chicken and rice recipe, all you have to do is combine the ingredients, cover tightly with foil, and bake.
This recipe is your ticket to an easy, flavorful meal that’s a hit every time!
More Easy Chicken Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chicken Cobbler Casserole
- Chicken Hashbrown Casserole
- Oven-baked Chicken and Dumplings Casserole
- Easy Chicken and Noodles
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
Elevate Easy, Cheesy Chicken and Rice
The beauty of this chicken and rice casserole lies in its adaptability.
It’s so easy to tweak this no peek chicken recipe and make it more hearty or more personalized!
Here are a few suggestions to elevate this recipe to the next level.
- Flavorful Twists with Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup: Experiment with different herbs and spices in your homemade cream of chicken soup to customize the flavor. Thyme, rosemary, or a dash of smoked paprika could add unique dimensions.
- Canned Soup Shortcut: Short on time? Opt for the convenience of canned cream of chicken soup. Remember, two cans, no water mixing. It’s the busy cook’s secret weapon for a quick, savory fix.
- Veggie Boost: Elevate the nutritional content by tossing in your favorite frozen vegetables. Peas, carrots, or a medley of mixed veggies not only add color but also make this dish a wholesome, all-in-one meal.
- Cheese Swaps: Get creative with the cheese! While Colby Jack is fantastic, why not try sharp cheddar for an extra kick or Gruyere for a sophisticated twist? Feel free to mix and match to suit your taste buds.
- Cheese Overload: If you’re a cheese enthusiast, go big by doubling the cheesy goodness to 2 cups. Because let’s be honest, there’s no such thing as too much cheese, right?
- Onion Soup Mix Magic: Craving a bolder flavor? Toss in a packet of onion soup mix for an extra savory punch. Skip the onion powder in this case and consider using low-sodium broth to manage sodium levels.
- Personalize with Protein: Add a protein twist by including diced ham, shredded rotisserie chicken, or even cooked ground sausage. It’s a fantastic way to tailor the dish to your preferences.
- Top it Off: Before baking, consider a crunchy topping. Crushed crackers, breadcrumbs, or even French fried onions can add texture and a delightful finishing touch.
- Herb Infusion: Fresh herbs can take this dish to the next level. Sprinkle chopped parsley, chives, or cilantro on top after baking for a burst of freshness and color.
How to Make No Peek Chicken and Rice
This is an easy dinner recipe you’ll want to keep on hand for those busy weeknights when your energy is running low.
And since it’s a one-pan dish, clean-up is a breeze.
Plus, it’s even popular with picky eaters!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Chicken Broth
- Long Grain White Rice (not instant rice!)
- Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- Cooked Chicken
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Shredded Cheese
How to Make this Chicken and Rice Bake:
(Full printable recipe card is available below)
Prepare the casserole filling. First, you’ll stir together chicken broth and white rice in a mixing bowl.
Next, you’ll add the cream of chicken soup, chicken pieces, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. These ingredients help create flavorful rice!
Stir to combine.
Add cheese. Then, you’ll add the shredded cheese and stir to incorporate.
I prefer to shred my own cheese, but you can use pre-shredded cheese if that’s easier!
Bake and serve. Last, you’ll pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
Bake in a preheated oven for one hour and 15 minutes. Leave it tightly covered–that’s why it’s called “no peek chicken casserole!”
Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes before removing the aluminum foil.
Notes and Adaptations:
- I love using homemade cream of chicken soup because it’s easy to make and adds a lot of flavor. I also have a gluten-free version you can use if needed.
- If you want to use canned soup, I recommend using two cans of condensed cream of chicken soup (not mixed with water). You could substitute cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup if needed.
- Feel free to add frozen vegetables to the dish prior to baking.
- Feel free to change up the type of cheese, if you’d like! I used Colby Jack, but cheddar or Gruyere would be delicious options as well. You can also increase the cheese to 2 cups if you’d like.
- You could even add in a packet of Lipton onion soup mix if you’d like to give it a stronger flavor (I do this with my french onion chicken and rice!). You can omit the onion powder in that case. You may want to use low-sodium broth and cream of chicken soup as well, to compensate for the added sodium in the soup mix.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. When reheating, you may need to add a drizzle of broth or water, as the rice can tend to dry out over time.
- Serve with some green beans or a side salad for a tasty meal.
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups long grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 cups homemade cream of chicken soup (or 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup)
- 2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 13x9" baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together chicken broth and white rice.
- Add the cream of chicken soup, chicken pieces, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Stir to combine well.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir to incorporate.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for one hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes before removing the aluminum foil.
- Serve and enjoy!
- I love using homemade cream of chicken soup because it's easy to make and adds a lot of flavor. I also have a gluten-free version you can use, if needed.
- If you want to use canned soup, I recommend using two cans of condensed cream of chicken soup (not mixed with water).
- Feel free to add frozen vegetables to the dish prior to baking.
- Feel free to change up the type of cheese, if you'd like! I used Colby Jack, but cheddar or Gruyere would be delicious options as well. You can also increase the cheese to 2 cups if you'd like.
- You could even add in a packet of onion soup mix if you'd like to give it a stronger flavor--in that case, I would omit the onion powder. You may want to use low-sodium broth and cream of chicken soup as well, to compensate for the added sodium in the soup mix.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 1071mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 19g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Try A No Fuss Chicken Dinner Recipe in Your Instant Pot:
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice-a-Roni
- Instant Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and RIce Casserole
- Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Be sure to save this recipe to your dinner ideas board on Pinterest!