Instant Pot French Onion Chicken and Rice casserole is a quick and easy weeknight meal that combines chicken and rice with the robust flavor of your favorite onion soup mix.
This Instant Pot French onion chicken and rice casserole would take well over an hour to bake in the oven, but you’ll have this weeknight dinner on the table in about 30 minutes.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Easy meals and hearty comfort foods are two of my favorite things–and when I can find a way to combine them, it’s like the stars have aligned!
By reworking my popular Instant Pot chicken and rice by adding some Lipton onion soup mix, I have arrived at a main dish that is flavorful, cheesy, and just plain comforting.
I grew up eating so many different southern style casseroles with chicken and rice. They are frugal and delicious and you can customize them in so many ways.
These were the meals people brought to your house when someone was sick, had a baby, or had passed away–because these were the meals that made you feel like you were like being wrapped in a big hug.
This pressure cooker French onion rice with chicken is the perfect example of the versatility of rice and chicken casseroles. In fact, it’s on my list of the best Instant Pot chicken and rice recipes!
You can make a batch right in the pressure cooker (in about 30 minutes) which means there will be no extra dishes to wash and you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your family.
More Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipes You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- Instant Pot Rice a Roni and Chicken
- Instant Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice
French Onion Chicken and Rice
I am often asked if you can cook chicken and rice at the same time in the Instant Pot.
The answer is a resounding YES, and cooking them at the same time is a fabulous way to save time and effort.
The key is combining them together with enough liquid and allowing for a natural pressure release so the rice has time to cook all the way through and the chicken won’t be tough.
How to Make Instant Pot French Onion Chicken and Rice
You’re going to love how easy it is to make this southern style French onion chicken and rice casserole in your Instant Pot.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- White rice
- Chicken broth
- Lipton onion soup mix
- Homemade cream of chicken soup (or you can use canned if you prefer)
- French onion sour cream dip
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fried onions
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Mix it up. First, you’ll add the chicken and rice to the Instant Pot. Pour the broth over the chicken and rice. Then stir in the french onion soup mix.
Cook it. Next, you’ll close the lid and cook for 3 minutes at high pressure then allow for a natural pressure release.
Make it creamy. Last, you’ll remove the chicken to a cutting board. Whisk together the cream of chicken soup and french onion dip. Stir that mixture and the mozzarella cheese into the rice until it is creamy.
Shred or chop the chicken and return it to the rice. Serve topped with fried onions.
Notes and Adaptations:
- I like using homemade cream of chicken soup (or my gluten free cream of chicken soup recipe), but you can also use 1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup mixed with 1 can of water.
- Want more onion flavor? If you have a couple extra minutes on your hands, thinly slice an onion. Before adding the chicken to the pot, saute the onions with some butter using the Saute function on your Instant Pot. When nice and soft, proceed with the recipe as instructed.
- I’ve used mozzarella cheese but you could also use Swiss, Monterey Jack or Gruyere.
- You can toast the fried onions in a skillet to crisp them up a bit before adding to the rice if you’d like. You can also transfer the chicken and rice mixture to a casserole dish, then top with fried onions and pop the dish under the broiler to crisp up the onions.
- Instant Pot (I have the DUO60 model) or other electric pressure cooker
- 2 medium-large boneless skinless chicken breasts, each cut into 3 pieces
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 packet (1-oz) Lipton onion soup mix
- 2 cups homemade cream of chicken soup (or 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup plus 1 can water)
- 1/2 cup French onion sour cream dip
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fried onions for topping
- In the insert pot of the Instant Pot, combine chicken breast pieces, white rice and chicken broth.
- Add in onion soup mix, stirring to combine everything well.
- Close lid and set vent to closed position. Select a cook time of 3 minutes at high pressure.
- After the cook time is complete, allow a natural release of pressure. Once the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken breast pieces to a cutting board.
- Whisk together the homemade cream of chicken soup and french onion dip. Pour this into the rice mixture along with the mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine until creamy and the cheese has melted.
- Shred or chop the chicken and return to the rice mixture, stirring to combine.
- Serve topped with fried onions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 861mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!