Hearty and satisfying Instant Pot Italian sausage and peppers make a delicious sandwich filling or topping for rice or pasta.
Tasty Instant Pot sausage and peppers are cooked with onions, tomatoes and Italian seasonings for a flavorful dinner in under 30 minutes.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Something magical happens when you combine peppers, onions, tomatoes and Italian seasonings with Italian sausage.
How something that is so easy to make can be so full of flavor baffles me every time I make this dish, but it is truly incredible.
Cooking this meal in the Instant Pot is so much faster and hands-off than the traditional method of preparing. No need to cook everything in a pan and babysit it on the stove!
This pressure cooker Italian sausage and peppers will be done in about 25 minutes.
Time is precious, and that’s why this dish is a big winner in my book!
More Instant Pot Recipes for Sandwich Night:
How To Serve Instant Pot Italian Sausage and Peppers
Aside from being unbelievably easy to make, this recipe is also really versatile.
We love sandwich night (it’s one of my easy theme nights for dinner), and the sausage, peppers and onions piled high onto a hoagie roll with loads of melted cheese makes for a sandwich that’s just plain delicious.
You can also serve Instant Pot sausage and peppers over pasta or rice.
Both options are tasty, and you can use just about any type of pasta, so it makes a great pantry meal. Use what you have on hand!
Ladle the sausage over the rice or pasta and top with a sprinkling of shredded mozzarella or grated Parmesan cheese. Serve it with some crusty bread and a salad to make it a meal.
How to Make Sausage and Peppers in Instant Pot
It’s really easy to make this flavorful meal!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Olive oil
- Italian sausage
- Sweet yellow onion
- Bell peppers
- Tomato sauce
- Diced tomatoes
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Black pepper
- Hoagie rolls and provolone (if serving as sandwiches)
- Pasta or rice and mozzarella cheese (if serving over your carb of choice)
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Saute. First, you’ll heat oil using the saute function on the Instant Pot. Slice the sausages into rounds and add to the hot oil, stirring to brown. You can leave the casing on or take it off–up to you!
Add in the onions and saute until they begin to soften.
Add in the peppers, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic powder, salt, Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, black pepper and water, then stir to combine.
Pressure cook. Next, you’ll cancel the saute function and seal the lid. Set to high pressure and cook for 5 minutes, followed by a quick release of pressure.
Make it a meal. Then, if serving on sandwiches, you’ll prepare the rolls by topping with provolone and broiling on a baking sheet until the cheese is melted.
You can also serve the sausage and peppers as a topping—boil pasta or rice for serving and top with grated Parmesan or shredded mozzarella if desired.
Notes and Adaptations:
- Italian sausage is available in several varieties. If you like it spicy, select the hot Italian sausage. If you prefer less kick, look for mild or sweet Italian sausage.
More Easy Instant Pot Italian Sausage Recipes:
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Tortellini and Sausage Soup
- Instant Pot Italian Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Rustic Italian Sausage and Bean Soup
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 5 links of Italian Sausage (19-oz package), sliced into rounds
- Medium sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers, sliced (I used red and orange)
- 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- For Serving: If serving as a filling for sandwiches, you'll need hoagie or bolillo rolls with provolone cheese slices. If serving as a topping, you'll need cooked pasta or rice. You may also want shredded mozzarella or grated parmesan for sprinkling on top.
- Add olive oil to the insert pot of the Instant Pot. Use the Saute function to heat the oil.
- Add Italian sausage pieces to the hot pot, stirring occasionally for a few minutes to brown the sides.
- Add the onions and stir to combine. Continue cooking for a couple of minutes to allow the onions to just start to soften.
- Add bell peppers, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic powder, salt, Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, black pepper, and water. Stir to combine.
- Press Cancel to turn off the Saute function. Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position. Use the Manual/Pressure Cook button to select a cook time of 5 minutes at high pressure.
- While that is cooking, prepare sub rolls by adding sliced provolone to the roll. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Broil for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese. If you're planning to serve the sausage and peppers as a topping, boil the pasta or rice at this time.
- Once the Instant Pot's cook time is complete, perform a quick release of pressure.
- After the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop sausage and peppers onto prepared rolls or over cooked pasta or rice. Top with shredded mozzarella or grated parmesan if desired.
- Italian sausage is available in several varieties. If you like it spicy,
select the hot Italian sausage. If you prefer less kick, look for mild
or sweet Italian sausage.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 1370mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!