Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken and Noodles is loaded with tender shredded chicken, Reames noodles and the zesty flavor of pepperoncini.
Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken with Noodles is a tasty marriage of two of our favorite comfort food recipes.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
I often make Instant Pot Mississippi chicken for a flavorful weeknight sandwich filling. It’s easy to make, but sometimes I’m looking for something a little heartier.
Many people like to serve Mississippi chicken with noodles, so I took a cue from my favorite Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles recipe, resulting in a match made in heaven.
Oh boy! It is delicious!
The chicken is full of flavor, the noodles go from frozen to tender in no time and the sauce is zesty and warming.
Mississippi chicken and frozen noodles cooked in the Instant Pot make for a quick, easy, and flavorful meal–with minimal effort!
More Instant Pot Chicken Dinners You’ll Love:
Why Is Mississippi Chicken Noodles So Popular?
Mississippi Chicken is actually a riff on the popular Mississippi Roast recipe that is made using pepperoncini peppers.
According to an article in Southern Living, a Mississippian named Robin Chapman created the recipe by adapting her aunt’s pot roast recipe to make a less spicy, kid friendly dish.
Since its inception in the 1990s, the recipe has grown in popularity and inspired many adaptations, including this Mississippi chicken and frozen noodles recipe.
In fact, it’s the Reames frozen noodles that elevate this recipe to a whole new level and make it a comfort-food meal that your family will crave and request over and over.
How to Make Reames Chicken and Noodles
It’s really easy to make this hearty and comforting meal.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Ranch seasoning mix
- Au jus seasoning mix
- Chicken broth
- Pepperoncini peppers
- Reames frozen noodles
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Prepare the chicken. First, you’ll slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise to make four pieces. Place them in the instant pot and sprinkle with the ranch and au jus seasonings.
Add the liquid and noodles. Next, you’ll add in the chicken broth, butter, pepperoncini (see notes below), and the frozen noodles. Stir to combine, making sure the noodles are mostly submerged.
Cook. Then, you’ll seal the lid and set the instant pot to high pressure for 5 minutes. Allow for a 15-minute natural pressure release followed by a quick release of any remaining pressure.
Shred and Serve. Last, you’ll remove the chicken and shred or chop as desired. Stir the chicken into the noodles and sauce.
Allow everything to cool slightly, so the sauce thickens a bit, and then serve.
Notes and Adaptations:
- Pepperoncini are available in both mild and hot varieties. If your jar doesn’t specify a heat level, add only half a jar if you prefer a milder spice level. Using the whole jar brings a good bit of heat, so adjust to your preferences. If your pepperoncini are mild, you can use the whole jar (unless you’re pretty sensitive to heat).
- Since you are using frozen noodles, you may notice that the Instant Pot takes a bit longer to come up to full pressure. This is normal.
- Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, each cut in half
- 1 packet of ranch seasoning mix
- 1 packet of au jus seasoning mix
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 16-oz jar pepperoncini, undrained (see note below regarding spice level)
- 24-oz Reames frozen noodles
- Add chicken breast pieces to the insert pot of the Instant Pot. Sprinkle ranch packet and au jus packet over the chicken.
- Add chicken broth and butter, stirring to combine.
- Add pepperoncini and juice from the jar (according to your preferred spiciness--see note below).
- Add frozen noodles, stirring to combine so they are mostly submerged in liquid.
- Close lid and set vent to the sealed position. Select a cook time of 5 minutes at high pressure (because the noodles are frozen, it will take a little longer than usual to come to pressure--that's totally normal).
- After the cook time is complete, allow a 15-minute natural release of pressure, followed by a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- After pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
- Remove chicken breast pieces to a cutting board and shred or chop as desired, then return to the pot with the noodles. Stir to combine.
- You can serve immediately if you'd like, but I prefer to let it set for a few minutes, because the sauce will thicken a bit as it cools.
- Some stores sell different heat levels of pepperoncini. For instance, the DeLallo brand sells mild and hot varieties. If your store carries different varieties, you can choose a variety based on your preference of spiciness.
- However, if you can only find standard jars of pepperoncini that don't specify a heat level, you'll need to adjust the heat by adjusting the amount of pepperoncinis that you add when cooking. A full jar of regular pepperoncini gives quite a bit of heat. If you want a milder flavor, I suggest using only half of the jar (or less).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 2105mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!