This Instant Pot broccoli cheddar soup is so easy to make, and it’s creamy and delicious!
You’ll love this Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup–it’s just as good as a restaurant version!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Soups are one of the easiest and most frugal recipes you can feed your family! It’s no secret that I adore soups–I have an entire list of the best Instant Pot soup recipes that I make often.
And it’s also why this Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup was born! It reminds me of Panera’s version, rich and creamy and chunky.
Can’t have dairy or need a vegan option? Then you’ll love this Instant Pot broccoli soup recipe!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Evaporated Milk
There are so many reasons to love this soup!
Aside from the fact that it’s super easy to make (major mom-win with this one!), it’s also really tasty.
Many broccoli cheddar soups require heavy cream and Velveeta cheese. I’ve made some simple substitutions here by using evaporated milk instead of cream, because it still adds creaminess with WAY less calories.
I also use freshly shredded cheese instead of a block of processed cheese–making sure you have shredded the cheese yourself ensures it melts much easier than bagged shredded cheese.
If you love broccoli and cheese together, you’ll love my Instant Pot cheesy chicken, broccoli, and rice casserole!
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup in the Instant Pot
It’s really easy to make this creamy and hearty soup!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Olive oil
- Large onion, diced
- Minced garlic
- Grated carrots
- Frozen broccoli florets
- Vegetable or chicken broth
- Coarse mustard (optional)
- Ground nutmeg
- Black pepper
- Evaporated milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is below)
Saute. First, you’ll use the Saute function to heat the insert pot of the Instant Pot. Add the olive oil and onion and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the garlic and stir for just a minute to allow it to become fragrant.
Add veggies, broth, and seasonings. Next, you’ll add the carrots, broccoli, broth, mustard, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Turn off the Saute function by pressing Cancel. Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position.
Pressure cook. Use the Manual/Pressure Cook setting to select a 1 minute cook time at high pressure. After the cook time is complete, carefully perform a quick release of pressure.
Once the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully open the lid.
Add slurry and cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk and flour to create a slurry. Pour this into the soup and stir to combine.
Add the shredded cheese and stir until melted. Serve and enjoy!
Notes and Adaptations:
- I like the ease of using frozen broccoli, but you are welcome to use fresh if you prefer.
- Any time you need cheese to melt well (like with this soup), I recommend buying a block of cheese and shredding it yourself.
- The mustard adds a nice little zip of flavor, but you can totally leave it out if you don’t have any on hand.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 carrots, grated/shredded (about a cup of shreds)
- 12-oz frozen broccoli florets
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp coarse mustard (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In the insert pot of the Instant Pot, add olive oil and heat using the Saute function. Add onions and stir for a couple of minutes until they begin to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir for just a minute while it becomes fragrant.
- Add broccoli, carrots, broth, mustard, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Turn off the Saute function by pressing Cancel. Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position.
- Use the Manual/Pressure Cook button to select a cook time of 1 minute at high pressure.
- When the cook time is complete, perform a quick release of pressure. After the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully open the lid.
- In a small bowl, whisk together evaporated milk and flour, creating a slurry. Pour the slurry into the soup mixture and stir to combine.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until melted. Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 698mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!