Making Instant Pot chicken and wild rice soup in the pressure cooker is a quick and easy way to make the creamy, hearty and comforting soup you crave!
Instant Pot chicken and wild rice soup is a delicious and soothing meal –plus it’s super simple to make!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
By now, you probably know that Olive Garden soups have long been a favorite of mine (with salad and breadsticks, of course), which is why I had to learn how to make Instant Pot versions of zuppa toscana and pasta e fagioli at home!
Another favorite restaurant I enjoy ordering soup from is Panera. Specifically, I love their chicken and wild rice soup. It’s oh-so-creamy and I love to enjoy it alongside a crusty baguette.
But alas, it’s not in my budget to regularly eat at Panera, and their chicken and wild rice soup is also over 300 calories per serving. Now, that’s certainly not terrible, especially for restaurant food, but I thought I could probably lighten it up a bit.
Not only that, but the restaurant version has over 1400 mg of sodium in one serving, which is A LOT.
So I decided to make my own better-for-you version of chicken and wild rice soup at home, and the result is nothing short of delicious!
Why You’ll Love this Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe
First of all, this recipe truly is easy. You just throw some ingredients into the Instant Pot and start cooking. Easy peasy.
Next, it’s a healthier alternative to canned soups and restaurant soups! It’s still delicious and creamy and so good, but without the guilt.
Plus, it’s a relatively inexpensive and frugal meal you can make to feed your family well! Serve it with some Instant Pot dinner rolls and you’re set!
Check out these other cheap and easy Instant Pot recipes for dinner!
More Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Italian Chicken Soup
- BBQ Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot
How to Make Creamy Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
First, you’ll start by adding some diced onion, sliced celery, and sliced carrots to the insert pot of your Instant Pot.
Next, add in your cut chicken breast, some broth, water, and the wild rice and seasoning mix.
Give all of that a good stir, then twist the lid into place. Set the vent to the sealed position and select a 4 minute cook time at high pressure, using the Manual/Pressure Cook button.
After the cook time has completed, allow a natural release of pressure. Then, once the pressure has released, carefully remove the lid and pull out the chicken pieces and set aside.
Next, create a slurry of milk and flour, then pour that into the soup and stir. Allow it to warm through and thicken just slightly while you shred or chop the chicken.
Return the chicken to the pot and stir everything to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste, and voila! You have delicious, hearty chicken and wild rice soup you can feel good about!
Notes and Adaptations for Chicken and Wild Rice Soup in the Pressure Cooker
- I used Uncle Ben’s Original Long Grain and Wild Rice mix for this recipe, because that’s what I’m most familiar with. However, feel free to use a different brand if you prefer. You may need to tweak the seasonings a little bit to taste after cooking.
- This soup is freezer-friendly! After cooking, just transfer the soup to a freezer-safe container and allow it to cool completely before freezing.
- If you are dairy-free, you can skip the milk and flour slurry entirely or you could try adding in a bit of canned coconut milk as a substitution.
- I have not tried making this with a frozen chicken breast. I used a thawed chicken breast because its cook time matches that of the rice more closely. If you want to use frozen chicken, I think you could try it with frozen tenders and a cook time of 5 or 6 minutes, but I have not personally tested it this way.
Recommended Equipment and Products:
Did you make it and love it? I appreciate your 5-Star Rating! As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love seeing my recipes come to life "in the wild"--don't forget to tag @marginmakingmom or use #marginmakingmom on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 18mg Sodium: 599mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 7g
Did you make it and love it? I appreciate your 5-Star Rating!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.