This comforting and hearty chicken and barley soup cooks in the Instant Pot, for a quick and easy meal!
You’ll love how simple it is to make this Instant Pot chicken barley soup! It’s a delicious meal that warms the soul!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
There’s something about the classic comfort foods that never disappoints, isn’t there?
It’s “just food,” after all…but it has the power to change our frame of mind.
This Instant Pot chicken barley soup is no exception! The fragrant thyme, tender chicken and veggies, and hearty barley are a delicious and comforting meal!
It’s sure to become one of your favorite Instant Pot soup recipes!
Pressure Cooker Chicken Barley Soup
One of the great things about using the pressure cooker for soups is that everything cooks together quickly.
This allows the flavors to meld together easily, as if the soup simmered for hours.
This chicken barley soup is also pretty adaptable–feel free to add more or different veggies, if you’d like!
How to Make Chicken and Barley Soup in the Instant Pot
It’s easier than you think to make this comforting soup!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Boneless chicken breast
- Chicken broth
- Pearl barley
- Bay leaf
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Ground thyme
- Ground sage
- Better than Bouillon chicken bouillon (optional)
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Combine ingredients. First, you’ll add the veggies, chicken, broth, barley, and seasonings together in the Instant Pot.
Pressure cook. Next, you’ll select a cook time of 15 minutes at high pressure. When the cook time is complete, allow a natural release of pressure.
Stir and serve. Last, you’ll carefully open the lid once the pressure has released. Shred the chicken, remove the bay leaf, then return the chicken to the pot.
Stir, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve! Easy peasy!
Notes and Adaptations:
- Feel free to add different vegetables if desired. You could add in green beans, peas, corn or whatever you desire.
- Using Better than Bouillon is optional, though I find it adds good flavor. If you choose not to use it, you may need to add some salt to taste.
- Instant Pot pressure cooker (I have the DUO60 model, which I love)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf, broken
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp Better than Bouillon chicken bouillon (optional)
- Add all ingredients to the insert pot of the Instant Pot.
- Close lid and set the vent to the sealed position. Select a cook time of 15 minutes at high pressure.
- After the cook time is complete, allow a natural release of pressure. Once the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
- Shred the chicken and return to the broth. Remove the bay leaf.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve!
- Feel free to add more or different veggies if desired, such as green beans, corn, peas, etc.
- I recommend using Better than Bouillon, because it adds more flavor. However, if you don't have Better than Bouillon handy, you can use a bouillon cube or crystals, or add more salt.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!