Instant Pot pasta e fagioli is a hearty, comforting soup that’s quick and easy to make!
Making this pasta e fagioli in the Instant Pot lets you get a delicious dinner on the table in a flash! Beef, beans, and pasta are simmered in a flavorful tomato broth, creating a hearty soup your family will love. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can follow the stove top directions.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
You know the kind of days…when Play-Doh crumbles litter the kitchen floor, when none of the littles took their naps (and they’re just SO delightful when they’re tired, right?), when somebody falls and busts their lip, and when unexpected hurdles keep coming your way.
Those are the days when dinner needs to be something quick and easy.
And around here, those days are pretty common. We would never eat if it weren’t for quick and easy meals.
It’s no secret that I’m kind of a soup fanatic. There’s just something about a warm bowl of goodness paired with some crusty bread or a good old-fashioned grilled cheese sandwich to soothe the soul.
I also love that soups can be really inexpensive yet hearty meals that make use of staple ingredients you probably already have on hand.
I’ve shared before about my love for Olive Garden soups (one of the reasons why I love this Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana), and this recipe is another perfect example.
Pasta e fagioli.
Homemade Pasta e Fagioli
It literally means “pasta and beans,” and it’s a traditional Italian dish that has humble beginnings as a peasant food.
In this recipe, pasta e fagioli is a delicious combination of beef, beans, and pasta in a tomato broth, brought to perfection with classic Italian flavors.
For years and years, I’ve made this soup on the stove top. But recently, in an effort to get dinner on the table a little bit faster, I tried making this pasta e fagioli in the Instant Pot. The result was just as tasty, but in less time!
However, if you don’t have an Instant Pot yet, I’m including directions for making it on the stove top as well.
Tips for Making Pasta e Fagioli in the Instant Pot
One of the tricks to cooking with pasta in the Instant Pot is to not cook it too long, or else it will become mushy. It’s also important not to use teeny tiny pasta that could clog the valve. I used classic ditalini pasta in this version, but you could always use elbow macaroni or shells if you prefer.
The general rule of thumb when it comes to cooking pasta in the Instant Pot is to take the recommended cook time (from the instructions on the box) and divide it in half, then use that as your cook time on LOW pressure.
But I never use low pressure! Instead, I recommend that you cook it at HIGH pressure, as I do in this recipe, by cutting another minute or two off the cook time to make sure your pasta doesn’t get too soft.
This Instant Pot pasta e fagioli will not disappoint–enjoy!
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 large celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can northern beans, drained
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 24 oz jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 quart (4 c) beef broth
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup uncooked ditalini pasta
To Prepare in the Instant Pot:
- In the insert pot of an Instant Pot, add ground beef and onion. Use the Saute function, browning the beef and cooking the onions until they begin to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine (I use a 6-qt pot, but if you use a smaller pressure cooker, you may need to adjust contents to avoid over-filling).
- Secure lid onto the Instant Pot and set the vent to the sealed position. Press "Cancel" to turn off the Saute function, then use the Manual or Pressure Cook function to select a cook time of 3 minutes at high pressure.
- Once cook time is complete, allow a 10-minute natural release of pressure, followed by a quick release of remaining pressure. Once the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove lid and stir contents.
- Serve and enjoy!
To Prepare on the Stove Top:
- In a stockpot, add ground beef and onion. Cook over medium heat until beef is browned and onions are beginning to soften.
- Add carrots, celery, tomatoes, and spaghetti sauce. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add beans, broth, oregano, basil, parsley, and pasta. Continue to simmer until carrots and celery are tender and pasta is cooked to al dente, about 45 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 676mg Carbohydrates: 32g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 24g