A unique twist on classic chili, this BBQ chicken version cooks quickly in the Instant Pot, making it a delicious version you’ll love!
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Chili is a quick, easy and frugal meal that you will want to make over and over again. It is sweet, smoky perfection!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
I love making a big pot of soup or chili any time of year, but it especially feels right during the fall. I have several different soup and chili recipes that I rotate through, making some more often than others, but they are all so tasty.
This Instant Pot BBQ chicken chili is one of our favorites, which is why I included it in my list of the best Instant Pot chili recipes!
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Chili
It’s hard to believe there was once a time when pretty much the only soup I ate was from a can. Having a good arsenal of soup recipes comes in handy for making easy, frugal, and delicious meals. I also love making a big pot of soup, as it tends to be a “make once, eat twice” kind of meal for our family.
I initially discovered this recipe on Carlsbad Cravings, a blog that you should be following if you aren’t already. Seriously, so many good eats! The original recipe is written to be made in a slow cooker or, alternatively, on the stove top.
Previously, I’ve always used the slow cooker method of preparation, and we loved it! However, since falling in love with my Instant Pot, I am always interested in converting slow cooker recipes to prepare in the Instant Pot pressure cooker, because it’s just so much faster in most instances. I’m happy to report that this one was a huge success!
You’ll love the sweet, smoky flavors of this Instant Pot BBQ chicken chili and the fact that it is a cinch to prepare! I love to top it with freshly shredded Colby Jack cheese (because cheese you shred yourself melts so much better!), but you can also top it with sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips, or whatever your heart desires.
With a handful of staple ingredients, dinner can be ready in a flash! It only cooks for 10 minutes–serve it up with a piece of skillet cornbread and you are golden!
More Amazing Chili Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
- Easy 4 Ingredient White Chicken Chili in the Pressure Cooker
- The Most Delicious Chili in the Pressure Cooker
- Love Skyline Chili? Here’s How to Make it in the Pressure Cooker
- Easy Taco Soup in the Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker
How to Make Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Chili
You’ll start by sauteing some onions in the insert pot of the Instant Pot. While those are cooking, mix up a sauce with some ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, and seasonings. This is essentially a smokey BBQ sauce of sorts.
Add the garlic to the onions and saute briefly before adding all remaining ingredients (except for the cornstarch and water) to the insert pot. Stir everything to combine, then lock the lid in place and set the vent to the sealed position.
Select a 10 minute cook time at high pressure. After the cook time is complete, allow a natural pressure release.
Once the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, remove the lid carefully. Remove chicken from the pot and shred or chop, then return back to the pot. If desired, you can add a slurry of cornstarch and water to thicken the chili just a bit. Totally up to you!
Recommended Equipment for Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Chili:
- Instant Pot pressure cooker (I use the DUO60 model and LOVE it)
- Box grater to shred your own cheese, if desired (it’s worth it, in my opinion!)
If you want an easy, frugal meal to warm you this fall, give this recipe a try! You’ll want to add it to your weekly meal plan over and over again. 🙂
Find more easy pressure cooker recipes here. Read about how to convert slow cooker recipes for the pressure cooker here.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Chili
Instant Pot BBQ chicken chili is a delicious departure from traditional chili, but with classic, smoky flavors you'll love!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 can cannelini beans, undrained
- 1 can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 4-oz can green chilies
- 1 14-oz can chicken broth
- 2 Tbs cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbs cold water (optional)
- Add diced onions to Instant Pot and set to Saute.
- While onions are cooking, combine ketchup, brown sugar, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, liquid smoke, salt, and pepper.
- Add garlic to Instant Pot and stir to combine with onions. Turn off the Saute function.
- Add chicken breasts to Instant Pot.
- Pour ketchup mixture over the chicken.
- Add beans (including their liquid), chicken broth, and green chilies to the Instant Pot, stirring to combine.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set the vent to "sealed."
- Using the Manual setting, cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- After cook time has completed, turn Instant Pot off and allow pressure to release naturally.
- Once pressure has released and valve has dropped, open lid and remove chicken.
- Shred chicken and return to Instant Pot.
- If you desire a slightly thicker chili, combine cornstarch and water into a slurry, then pour into the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Allow a few minutes for thickening, then serve.
Adapted from Carlsbad Cravings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 307Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 1302mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 9gSugar: 14gProtein: 24g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!
very interesting I am going to try this recipe and I hope it is a big hit at home. I think it may be as they love chili and chicken soup
thanks for sharing
come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com
Chrysti Benner says
I hope it’s a hit! Enjoy! 🙂
Julie @ Back To My Southern Roots says
Definitely using this for a fall meal! Thanks for sharing!
Chrysti Benner says
I hope you enjoy it, Julie! 🙂
Mitchelle wright says
Yummy! Thanks for Sharing
I cant wait to try this bbq chicken chili recipe.
Chrysti Benner says
Thanks, Mitchelle, I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
Thanks for the recipe, Chrysti! I’m going to make this bbq chicken chili with black beans because they’re some of my favorites and I think it’s going to look so delicious. Yours looks like the perfect comfort food!
Chrysti Benner says
Black beans would be a tasty addition, Denisa! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! 🙂