This delicious pressure cooker chili is a comforting meal made quick and easy in the Instant Pot. Your family is sure to love it!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
My mom’s chili was one of my favorite meals as a kid, and it’s one that I remember well.
The electric can opener would busily hum as she prepared cans of beans and tomatoes while ground beef sizzled with onions. A hefty sprinkling of chili powder and some bubbling and simmering later, the flavors were melded together into a pot of goodness that matched my burnt sienna crayon. It was warmly hearty and delicious, and a favorite in our family.
As I’ve grown older, my love for chili has grown to include a variety of different types. Whether it’s the smoky-sweet flavors in pressure cooker BBQ chicken chili, the simplicity of pressure cooker white chicken chili, or my more recent discovery of sweet potato chili, I find them all dreamy in their own way.
One of my favorite things about chili is the versatility–it’s so easy to make it your own by adjusting spices, types of beans, swapping out the meats, and so on.
But none of those variations are quite as comforting as a bowl of classic chili, similar to the ones I enjoyed as a child.
Over the years, I’ve adapted my mom’s recipe a bit, and more recently, I decided to adapt it to be made in my Instant Pot, because I love the option to prepare it much more quickly!
Needless to say, it’s one of my favorites. I love to top it with a sprinkling of cheese and some diced avocado, but you can dress it up however you like. Serve it with some tortilla chips. a grilled cheese sandwich, or skillet cornbread and you’re good to go!
Although chili is often thought of as a fall and winter meal (and for good reason!), I definitely eat it year-round.
In fact, this delicious pressure cooker chili also makes for an amazing taco salad–simply top a bed of greens with the chili, then layer some cheese and crushed tortilla chips on top.
How to Make Delicious Pressure Cooker Chili
You start by browning some ground beef with onion in the Instant Pot, using the Saute setting. Once the meat is browned, you’ll add in some diced bell pepper, garlic, beans, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and Worcestershire sauce.
Give it a good stir, then put the lid on and pressure cook it at high pressure for 15 minutes. Even though it cooks fast, it tastes like it’s been simmering for much longer.
Really, it’s so, so simple. A hearty bowl of chili in a flash–what’s not to love?
Give it a try–maybe making a yummy pot of delicious pressure cooker chili will bring back some fond memories for you, too! 🙂
Notes and Adaptations for Pressure Cooker Chili:
- You can use whatever type of beans you prefer. I usually use dark red kidney beans and light red kidney beans. Sometimes I’ll use pinto beans or black beans if that’s what I have on hand.
- Feel free to use ground turkey instead of ground beef if desired.
- I like to use beef broth, but chicken broth or vegetable broth will work. Heck, even just plain water will work, but the broth adds a bit more flavor. You may need more salt if you just use water.
- The tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce add depth of flavor to the chili, but if you’re in a pinch and don’t have any, you can leave them out. Again, you may need some extra salt if you leave out the Worcestershire sauce.
- I like to use diced fire roasted tomatoes if possible, but I’ve also made it with plain diced tomatoes. Feel free to use what you have on hand!
- Leftovers can be frozen.
- You can double the recipe as long as it doesn’t exceed your particular pressure cooker model’s maximum fill limit!
- Instant Pot (I have the DUO60 model)
- Chef’s knife
Recipe adapted from my mom's chili recipe. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe adapted from my mom's chili recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.