No-Churn Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream is a sweet, rich and creamy ice cream that doesn’t require an ice cream maker!
Summer days call for a way to cool off easily, and homemade no-churn chocolate peanut butter ice cream is one of the best ways to do that!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Ever since I bought my ice cream maker years ago, I’ve been experimenting and making ALL the frozen treats each summer. The possibilities are endless!
Sometimes we use the ice cream maker to freeze sorbet, like this amazing pineapple sorbet. But sometimes, we don’t want to pull out the ice cream maker, or we didn’t stick it in the freezer ahead of time, or we just want something a little easier.
In those cases, I love making no-churn ice cream.
For instance, this no-churn cookies and cream ice cream, cake batter ice cream, lemon ice cream, orange creamsicle ice cream, and no-churn pistachio ice cream are some of our family’s absolute favorites, and they don’t last long around here.
One of the great things about no-churn ice cream is that a simple 2-ingredient base can be transformed into lots of different flavors and varieties. You can also use different mix-ins to change things up.
No matter the variety, it ends up being a delightfully creamy ice cream, almost like a custard but without the fuss of adding eggs.
More recently, I wanted a chocolate and peanut butter dessert. Since it’s the dead of summer here in Tennessee, I decided to experiment with tweaking the base of the no-churn ice cream to include chocolate AND peanut butter.
Turns out, it was the best experiment ever! Because this ice cream is to. die. for.
More Delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Treats:
- Healthier Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
- Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- Instant Pot Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake
- Easy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bread
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Without an Ice Cream Maker
You won’t believe how simple it is to make this delicious ice cream!
You’ll start by whipping some heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Then, add in some cocoa powder and peanut butter. Turn the mixer back on briefly, just enough to incorporate those ingredients well.
Then, gently stir in some sweetened condensed milk until well-combined.
Transfer the mixture to a freezer-safe container and pop it into the freezer for a few hours. It takes about 3-4 hours to reach soft-serve consistency. If you want scoopable, firmer ice cream, aim for 6-8 hours (or even overnight).
The wait is well-worth it!
The Shortcut of No-Churn Ice Cream
Traditionally, when making homemade ice cream, you make a sweet base that is churned as it freezes. The churning aerates it and breaks up ice crystals, so it ends up nice and smooth.
In this case, the sweetened condensed milk provides the sweetness, and whipping the cream gives it the light and fluffy texture.
Truly, this kind of ice cream is so silky smooth and decadent!
You can scoop it up into a sundae, banana split, or just eat it plain. It’s that good!
Notes and Adaptations:
- I didn’t want the peanut butter flavor to overpower the chocolate, so I went with 1/4 cup of peanut butter. You can certainly increase that to 1/2 cup if you want a stronger flavor.
- I haven’t tried this recipe with natural peanut butters (the kind that require stirring to incorporate the oil)–I don’t think those would be the best choice for this recipe since it would be harder to mix into the cream. I recommend that you stick with regular creamy peanut butter, like Jif.
- I used dark chocolate cocoa powder, but regular will work fine as well.
- You can add chopped peanut butter cups to the mixture if you’d like–simply fold those in before freezing, after everything else is mixed well.
No-Churn Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
This decadent, creamy no-churn chocolate peanut butter ice cream comes together easily with just a handful of ingredients, and no ice cream maker required!
- 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or using a handheld electric mixer), whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Add in the peanut butter, cocoa powder, and sweetened condensed milk. Mix at low speed just until the ingredients are incorporated and the mixture is smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pour into a freezer-safe container and cover with plastic wrap or a lid. Freeze for at least 2 hours (this will generally yield a soft-serve type consistency) or 4-6 hours for a firmer, scoopable consistency.
Did you make it and love it? I appreciate your 5-Star review!
I love seeing these recipes come to life "in the wild." Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @marginmakingmom or use #marginmakingmom so I can see your creation!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!
Kristen @ Joyfully Thriving says
This looks amazing! What a great summer time treat! And really, how can you go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter? Pinning this to try soon!
Chrysti Benner says
Thank you, Kristen! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! 🙂
Made this today with 1/2 cup peanut butter and also added a cup of chocolate chips. It was amazing! I’ll definitely make this again!
Chrysti Benner says
So glad you enjoyed it, Murphy! Love the addition of chocolate chips!
What is the size of the can of sweetened condensed milk?
Chrysti Benner says
Hi Caitlin! It’s a 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk. Enjoy! 🙂