This homemade cake batter ice cream is so easy to make, and doesn’t even require an ice cream maker!
This no-churn cake batter ice cream is thick, rich and creamy, just like what you’d get from your favorite ice cream shop!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Have you ever made homemade ice cream? Many people are intimidated by the idea, but it’s actually easier than you’d think!
I used to think all ice cream makers involved a bunch of salt and a hand crank, so I was a little intimidated.
I eventually bought an ice cream maker and realized it can really be super simple to make homemade ice cream.
Then, things got even easier when I discovered how to make no-churn ice creams that don’t even require an ice cream maker!
That’s how I make my cookies and cream ice cream, pistachio ice cream, speculoos ice cream, orange creamsicle ice cream, and decadent chocolate peanut butter ice cream.
I first enjoyed cake batter ice cream many years ago when Cold Stone Creamery first came to our area. I was hooked from the start!
So recently, I decided to try making homemade cake batter ice cream!
Homemade Cake Batter Ice Cream without Eggs
A lot of ice cream bases start out with a sweet custard, made with eggs that is cooked on the stove top. The base is then churned as it freezes, which aerates it and breaks up ice crystals, so it ends up nice and smooth.
But with no-churn ice cream, the sweetness is provided by sweetened condensed milk, and the creaminess is provided by fluffy whipped cream, so it is an easy eggless recipe!
This base can be endlessly customized, just as it is here in this cake batter ice cream!
More Delicious Recipes for Frozen Treats:
How to Make the Best Cake Batter Ice Cream Without an Ice Cream Maker
It’s really easy to make this simple 4-ingredient recipe!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Yellow Cake Mix
- Sprinkles (optional)
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Whip the cream. First, you’ll start by using an electric mixer to whip up the cream until stiff peaks form.
Fold together. Next, you’ll gently fold the sweetened condensed milk and cake mix into the whipped cream until fully incorporated. It will start to become thick and pudding-like. Once that’s combined, carefully add in the sprinkles, if using.
Freeze. Pour into a freezer-safe container (I absolutely LOVE this insulated ice cream storage container–it’s the perfect size and shape for scooping and it’s ideal for bringing your ice cream to a summer BBQ or potluck).
Freeze until firm, at least 6-8 hours. Then, scoop (this is my favorite ice cream scoop) and serve!
Notes and Adaptations:
- Feel free to omit the sprinkles or change it up to use different colors based on the season or celebration!
- Cake mix contains raw flour. To reduce risk of bacterial illness, you can choose to toast the cake mix in the oven prior to using in the ice cream.
- Electric stand mixer (I love my KitchenAid) or electric hand mixer
- My favorite freezer-safe ice cream storage container
- Easy-to-use ice cream scoop
No-Churn Cake Batter Ice Cream
Homemade cake batter ice cream is super easy to make--no ice cream machine required!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup yellow cake mix, sifted
- 1-2 Tbsp sprinkles (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently mix in the sweetened condensed milk and cake mix until well-combined. The mixture will start to thicken a bit due to the cake mix.
- Carefully fold in sprinkles, if desired. Transfer mixture to a freezer-safe container and top with additional sprinkles if desired.
- Freeze at least 6-8 hours before serving.
- Feel free to omit the sprinkles or use different colors if desired.
- Cake mix contains raw flour and as such, poses a risk for bacterial illness. If you prefer, you can spread the cake mix on a baking pan and toast in the oven. Allow to cool before proceeding with recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 0gSugar: 31gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!
Leave a Reply