This easy loaf cake with chocolate chips is buttery, moist and studded with plenty of chocolate chips in every bite.
Chocolate chip loaf cake is simple to make and perfect for sharing with family and friends.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
I love baking, especially when it involves chocolate. There is a simple comfort in biting into a warm, moist slice of cake or soft and chewy cookie.
It’s even more fulfilling when that cake or cookie is studded with morsels of chocolate chips. That’s probably why these perfectly chewy chocolate chip cookies are one of my all-time favorite treats.
It’s true; I’m a sucker for chocolate chips. I always keep a bag (or two) in the pantry for baking and a quick fix when a chocolate craving hits.
For a chocolate lover such as myself, it takes a lot of willpower not to overindulge.
I love this easy loaf cake with chocolate chips because it comes together quickly, bakes up incredibly moist, and is perfect for sharing.
When baked in a traditional loaf pan, this chocolate chip loaf cake is the perfect dessert for a small gathering or simply enjoying with your family. It also makes a great coffee cake for breakfast!
Divide the batter into smaller, individual loaf pans, and you can easily share the love or freeze portions of the cake so you don’t go overboard.
More Chocolate Chip Studded Treats:
- Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Chocolate Chip Bisquick Muffins
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
How To Make The Perfect Chocolate Chip Pound Cake Loaf
It’s hard to beat cake that has been studded with chocolate chips, but there is a lot to love about this recipe:
- It’s a pound cake. The high ratio of eggs, butter, flour and sugar will give you a cake that’s moist, buttery and flavorful.
- It’s a loaf cake. Cooking this cake in a loaf pan is easy. There are no layers to deal with, and it’s easy to slice and serve.
- It’s easy to top. Delicious on its own, you can easily take this cake to the next level by dusting the top with powdered sugar or adding a layer of chocolate buttercream to the top. Even better? Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of hot fudge.
- It freezes well. This decadent and moist cake will keep well at room temperature for a few days, but it also freezes well. Wrap it well and freeze for up to three months for a simple dessert anytime a chocolate craving strikes.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
It’s really easy to make this chocolate chip quickbread.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Granulated Sugar
- Sour Cream
- Vanilla Extract
- All-purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Chips
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Prepare the equipment. First, you’ll preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8×4″ loaf pan.
Combine the wet ingredients. Next, you’ll mix together butter and sugar in a stand mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add sour cream and mix to incorporate.
Then, add eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Combine the dry ingredients. Then, whisk 1 1/2 cups of flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a separate mixing bowl. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
Add chocolate chips and bake. Gently toss the chocolate chips with a bit of flour. Stir flour-coated chocolate chips into the batter.
Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Notes and Adaptations:
- Prevent the chocolate from sinking. Sometimes chocolate chips, nuts, or other add-ins can sink to the bottom of the cake. To prevent this, toss the chocolate chips with flour before adding them to the batter.
- Don’t under or over bake. An underbaked cake may sink in the middle. An over-baked cake will be dry. Watch the cake carefully near the end of the cooking time and always test with a toothpick to avoid these issues.
Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
A buttery cake chock full of chocolate chips, this loaf cake is dessert (or breakfast!) perfection.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 TBSP all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8x4" loaf pan.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together butter and sugar on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy.
- Add sour cream and mix to incorporate.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- In a small bowl, toss the chocolate chips with the remaining 1 TBSP flour to coat. Gently stir the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
This loaf freezes well! Simply cool completely and wrap well (I like to double-wrap with plastic wrap) and freeze.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 217mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!
Leave a Reply