These oatmeal chocolate chip muffins are made with some simple swaps that make them a healthier choice!
If you love oatmeal chocolate chip muffins, you’ll love this lightened up version! Perfect for breakfast or a snack!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
My sweet tooth is out of control sometimes. Couple that with my love for baking, and we have a recipe for disaster!
So while I wholeheartedly believe it is okay to enjoy decadent desserts (like this chocolate chip cake) from time to time, I also try to make healthier swaps sometimes that allow me to enjoy sweets with less guilt.
These oatmeal chocolate chip muffins are the perfect example!
More Quickbread and Muffin Recipes You’ll Love:
- Healthier Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
- Bisquick Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Cranberry Orange Muffins with Pecans
- Sour Cream Banana Bread
- Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Grandma Wilhelm’s Pumpkin Bread
- Pistachio Bread
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Pumpkin Banana Muffins
Lightened Up Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
Let’s talk about some of the swaps that make these muffins better for you!
First of all, the oil is decreased and I’ve used applesauce to compensate. Plus, Greek yogurt (or sour cream) helps keep it moist.
There’s not a ton of sugar, and we all know oatmeal is good for us.
I don’t skimp on the chocolate chips, because I love a muffin that’s chock full of them. But, you can totally decrease that a bit more if you prefer!
How to Make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
It’s really easy to make these tasty muffins for your family!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Brown sugar
- Vegetable Oil
- Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- Rolled Oats
- Baking Powder
- Chocolate Chips
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Mix the wet ingredients. First, you’ll combine the brown sugar, egg, oil, applesauce, yogurt or sour cream, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. You can either stir by hand or use a stand mixer.
Add the dry ingredients. Next, you’ll add the flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Mix well, then fold in the chocolate chips.
Bake. Last, you’ll divide the batter among a greased muffin pan, then bake at 350F for about 30 minutes!
Notes and Adaptations:
- Feel free to add nuts if you’d like.
- If you don’t have any applesauce, you can use mashed bananas instead.
- These muffins are freezer-friendly! You can wrap them individually and freeze, or you can flash freeze them on a baking sheet before putting them in a zip-top bag.
Healthier Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
These oatmeal chocolate chip muffins are made with some healthier swaps, so you can enjoy them without any guilt!
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease 12 wells of a muffin pan or fill with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, egg, vegetable oil, applesauce, Greek yogurt or sour cream, and vanilla, mixing well.
- Add flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt, stirring to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among the wells of the pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden-brown on top.
- Feel free to add nuts if desired.
- If you don't have any applesauce, mashed bananas work well, too!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!
Leave a Reply