These pumpkin cheesecake muffins are swirled with cream cheese filling to create a decadent fall treat!
You’ll love these pumpkin cream cheese muffins—they’re perfect for breakfast, a snack, or dessert!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Ever since I started making Grandma Wilhelm’s pumpkin bread, I’ve been making variations of it.
That’s because there’s pretty much nothing better in the fall than a delicious pumpkin treat!
But one of my personal favorites is these pumpkin cream cheese muffins!
Seriously, they are so good—they’re a classic pumpkin muffin with some cheesecake-type filling swirled on top. It’s almost like a pumpkin cupcake with the frosting baked right in.
Skip Starbucks and make your own pumpkin cream cheese muffins at home this fall!
More Easy Muffin Recipes You’ll Love:
Why You’ll Love these Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling
So first of all, these are the easiest cream cheese pumpkin muffins I’ve ever made.
I’ve tried other recipes, which included making, piping, and freezing pieces of cream cheese filling and baking those pieces in the centers of the muffins.
While those are tasty, they are A LOT of effort. That’s just not the type of thing I have time for these days.
So I knew I needed to make an easier (and faster!) version if I wanted to enjoy a pumpkin cream cheese muffin.
I also wanted a cream cheese filling that was sweet, but didn’t overpower the pumpkin flavor.
So I made a cream cheese filling that is very similar to what you might find in a cream cheese danish, and it pairs perfectly with the pumpkin muffins.
I just know you’re going to love these as much as I do!
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes:
- Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Amazing Pumpkin Pecan Cobbler
- Soft & Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Delicious Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake from a Mix
How to Make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins
It’s really easy to make these muffins. You start off with a basic pumpkin muffin recipe, then make the filling and swirl it on top.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Hot water
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Pumpkin puree
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Egg yolk
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Mix the batter. First, you’ll make the batter for the pumpkin muffins and scoop it into a prepared muffin pan.
Make the cheesecake filling. Next, you’ll mix up the cream cheese filling using an electric mixer. Once it’s smooth, spoon some of the filling on top of each well of muffin batter.
Swirl. Using a toothpick or a knife, swirl the cheesecake filling into the pumpkin batter, keeping it mostly on top.
Bake. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow them to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Notes and Adaptations:
- These muffins can be frozen if desired.
- I like these best when warm, so you can always pop one or two in the microwave to reheat them.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- For the Cream Cheese Swirl:
- 8-oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a muffin pan well or line with cupcake liners (you'll need about 16-18 wells prepared).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs and beat well, followed by hot water, mixing well until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, add in the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda, mixing just until combined.
- Add in pumpkin puree, mixing until combined and batter is smooth.
- Scoop batter by 1/4-cupfulls into the wells of a muffin pan.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and egg yolk, mixing well with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Drop about a tablespoonful of cream cheese mixture onto each well of muffin batter. Use a toothpick or other utensil to swirl the cream cheese mixture into the batter.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- These muffins freeze well--simply cool completely and wrap well.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!