Instant Pot sweet and sour chicken with pineapple, peppers, and rice is a quick and easy meal that’s better than takeout! You’ll love the sweet and tangy sauce, tender chunks of chicken, and flavorful peppers and pineapple. It’s a simple, shortcut pressure cooker chicken recipe to help you get dinner on the table fast!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
I’m a big fan of Asian-inspired meals, but I rarely make them at home. I’m not sure why…I guess maybe I was intimidated by ingredients I rarely had on-hand, and it was just easier to grab takeout.
But over time, I’ve slowly started incorporating more of these dishes into our weekly meal plan. It started with perfecting my homemade veggie fried rice, which we often eat as a tasty standalone meal.
Later, I learned how to make baked sweet and sour chicken from scratch, and while it is SO tasty, it also is pretty labor intensive. Dredging each piece of chicken through cornstarch and egg wash, then frying, then baking in a sauce made from scratch, turning the pieces during baking…it’s just not a practical weeknight meal in my home.
That’s why I was so excited to make this easy sweet and sour chicken in the Instant Pot! It’s a super simple weeknight meal that comes together in minutes.
And, it’s less expensive than takeout, which is one of the many ways my Instant Pot saves me money!
Looking for more frugal Instant Pot recipes? Check out this list of 40 easy and cheap Instant Pot recipes for dinner!
The inspiration for this version came from one of my favorite pressure cooker cookbooks, The Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Barbara Schieving. I loved Barbara’s idea to use a jar of sweet and sour sauce to make this a true shortcut meal, but I made a few small tweaks to bulk up the meal a bit with extra chicken and pineapple.
How Do You Make Sweet and Sour Chicken in the Pressure Cooker?
You’ll start by placing the chicken breast pieces into the insert pot of your Instant Pot. Add in 1/2 cup of the pineapple juice to the insert pot, as well as the chopped bell peppers.
Lock the lid into place and set the vent to the sealed position. Select a 3 minute cook time at high pressure. After the cook time is complete, perform a quick release of pressure.
Once the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
Pour the sweet and sour sauce into the insert pot, along with the drained pineapple. Stir the contents to combine and allow them to warm through.
Create a cornstarch slurry by whisking together some cornstarch and reserved pineapple juice. Add the slurry to the contents of the insert pot, stirring well to fully incorporate it. Allow the sauce to thicken to your desired consistency. Mine thickened up pretty quickly, but if necessary, you can use the Saute function to simmer the sauce longer until it thickens.
Notes and Adaptations for Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken:
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot (what are you waiting for? :)), you can prepare this dish on the stove top. Simply cook the chicken and peppers in the pineapple juice in a skillet. Once it’s cooked through, add in the sauce, pineapple, and cornstarch slurry.
- This recipe can be flexible. You can make it without pineapple or peppers if desired. Or you can add onions or other vegetables according to your preference.
- If you’d like your sauce to be a little spicy, you can add some red pepper flakes, sweet chili sauce, or sriracha to increase the heat a bit.
- I love making a big batch of brown rice in the Instant Pot, then portioning it out into Ziploc bags and freezing it. That way, I can just pull a bag out of the freezer whenever I need it, add a couple tablespoons of water, and microwave it (much cheaper than the frozen rice you can buy at the grocery store). This is how I make brown rice in the Instant Pot.
- You could also serve this over lo mein noodles or zoodles.
More Delicious Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Chicken Recipes:
- How to Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot
- The Best Pressure Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Fettucine Alfredo
- Creamy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Did you make it? I’d love to see your creation! Post a picture on Instagram and tag me @marginmakingmom and use #marginmakingmom!
Did you make it? I'd love to see your creation! Post a picture and tag me on Instagram @marginmakingmom and use hashtag #marginmakingmom! Adapted from The Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you make it? I'd love to see your creation! Post a picture and tag me on Instagram @marginmakingmom and use hashtag #marginmakingmom!
Adapted from The Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
New to Pressure Cooking?
Subscribe to the Margin Making Mom newsletter and get instant access to a FREE printable Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Your Pressure Cooker, which includes a printable Conversion Cheat Sheet to help you convert your favorite slow cooker meals to pressure cooker meals!
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!