Instant Pot chicken and sweet potato enchilada soup cooks in just minutes! It’s a frugal meal that’s full of flavor, and one you’re sure to love.
Instant Pot chicken and sweet potato enchilada soup is chock full of beans, veggies, chicken, and warm spices, making it a hearty meal that comes together quickly!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
When it comes to planning your meals, it’s always a good idea to try to use what you have on hand first, then buy the extra items you need.
Sometimes it’s easier than others, depending on what you have on hand, but in general, soup is a great way to use up leftovers or other random items you have hanging around! It decreases food waste and reduces what you spend at the grocery store, which is always a win!
Using up what we had on hand was what caused this delicious soup to be born, and I just know you’re going to love it!
It requires a handful of basic ingredients (which can be easily adapted based on what you already have!), and it cooks really quickly in the Instant Pot.
Different types of chili and Mexican-inspired soups are often crowd-pleasing favorites, and this Instant Pot chicken and sweet potato enchilada soup is no exception!
Related Instant Pot Chili and Soup Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
- Quick & Easy Instant Pot Albondigas (Mexican Meatball) Soup
- The Most Delicious Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Sweet Potato Chili
- Easy Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
This recipe from Budget Bytes was loose inspiration for this tasty soup. I tweaked and added ingredients to suit our tastes, then prepared it in my Instant Pot, where it cooked up in a flash.
Chicken and sweet potato soup is sort of a deconstructed enchilada, with tender chicken and sweet potatoes, sweet corn, and black beans, all cooked in a broth of tomatoes and warm cumin and chili powder.
Stirring in a bit of cornmeal at the end thickens it just slightly and provides an additional layer of flavor.
This pressure cooker sweet potato enchilada soup is hearty and filling, a tasty meal that’s packed with nutrients. Not only that, but it uses inexpensive ingredients, so it’s an ideal frugal meal.
It also comes together quickly and easily, which is a huge bonus in my book–which is why I put it on my list of the best Instant Pot chicken soup recipes!
Check out more of my favorite cheap and easy Instant Pot dinner recipes!
How to Make Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchilada Soup in the Instant Pot
You’ll start by using the Saute function to cook some onions in olive oil until they start to turn translucent.
Then, add some garlic and allow it to heat for a minute.
Next, add your chicken breast pieces, spices, broth, beans, corn, and tomatoes.
You’ll cook everything at high pressure for 4 minutes, followed by a natural release.
Remove the chicken and shred, then return it to the soup, giving everything a good stir. Then, stir in some cornmeal and serve!
This pressure cooker chicken and sweet potato enchilada soup pairs well with a variety of sides–a quesadilla, cheese biscuits, grilled cheese sandwich, or skillet cornbread.
You can top it with whatever strikes your fancy–shredded cheese (I used pepperjack), avocado, sour cream, tortilla strips–so many possibilities!
Add this to your meal plan for a quick and easy dinner that your family is sure to enjoy!
- Instant Pot (I have the DUO60 model, which I love!)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into three pieces of fairly equal size
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-oz can black beans, undrained
- 10 oz package frozen chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (optional)
1. In the insert pot of the Instant Pot, add olive oil and onions. Use the Saute function to cook the onions until they begin to turn translucent, a couple of minutes.
2. Add the garlic and stir for just a minute, allowing it to heat.
3. Add in the chicken pieces, chili powder, cumin, broth, tomatoes, beans, sweet potatoes, and corn. Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position.
4. Select a cook time of 4 minutes at high pressure. After cook time is complete, allow a natural release of pressure.
5. Once the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid. Remove the chicken to a plate or cutting board and shred/chop as desired.
6. Stir the cornmeal into the soup, followed by the shredded/chopped chicken.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Did you make it and love it? I appreciate your 5-Star review!
I love to see recipes come to life "in the wild." Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @marginmakingmom and use #marginmakingmom so I can see your creation!
Recipe inspired by Budget Bytes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 783mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!