Moist and spiced pear bread is a delicious breakfast or dessert treat, made with fresh or canned pears!
This pear bread loaf is both pretty AND delectable, and is sure to disappear fast!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
We love making quickbreads in our family–it’s a great way to enjoy a sweet treat for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert!
This pear bread was one of the first types of bread I started making after my husband and I got married, and it has stood the test of time as a family-favorite recipe.
It’s such a delicious bread, warmly spiced with cinnamon and flavored with the sweetness of pears.
More Delicious Quickbread Recipes:
- Spiced Apple Butter Bread
- Sour Cream Banana Bread
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Grandma’s Pumpkin Bread
- Easy Pistachio Bread
Variations of this Pear Bread Recipe
The great thing about this pear bread recipe is its flexibility.
I’ve made it with super ripe fresh pears, and I’ve made it with canned pears. Both options turn out beautifully, so you can totally make it either way.
If you have an abundance of ripe pears, use those! If you don’t, use canned pears!
The other fun variation is to use streusel topping or not. Again, I’ve made it both ways, and both are delicious. Just depends on what you prefer!
I’ve also combined this with banana bread and made banana pear bread, which is a tasty treat!
How to Make Homemade Spiced Pear Bread
It’s really easy to make this quickbread! You need your basic pantry staples and some pears.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Vegetable oil
- Pears (fresh or canned)
- Vanilla extract
- Brown sugar
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Combine dry ingredients. First, you’ll start by whisking together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Mix wet ingredients. Next, in the bowl of a stand mixer, you’ll combine the oil and sugar, then add the eggs, pears, and vanilla.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Last, you’ll gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing just until everything is incorporated.
Top and bake. Next, you’ll divide the batter between two pans. If you’re using the streusel topping, you’ll sprinkle it over the tops of the loaves. If not, you’ll skip that part.
Bake for about an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
How to Freeze Pear Bread:
The beauty of this recipe is that it makes two loaves, so you can easily eat one now and freeze one for later!
To freeze the bread, simply cool completely and double wrap with plastic wrap before freezing.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 14.5-oz cans of sliced pears in juice, drained and chopped (or 2 1/2 cups peeled and chopped fresh pears)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Streusel Ingredients (if using):
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4-8 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 8x4" or 9x5" loaf pans.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the oil and sugar on medium speed.
- With the mixer on low, add eggs one at a time, mixing until combined.
- Add pears and vanilla and mix until combined.
- With the mixer still on low, gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing just until incorporated.
- Divide batter among the two loaf pans.
- If using the streusel, combine the sugar, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add vegetable oil a Tablespoon at a time, mixing with your fingers until the texture of wet sand is achieved. Sprinkle the streusel over the two loaves.
- Bake for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
These loaves freeze well. Simply cool completely and double wrap with plastic wrap before freezing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 482Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!