Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MahatmaFastRice #CollectiveBias #MahatmaRice #MahatmaRiceUnites You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Instant Pot creamy Italian chicken is a classic meal served with rice, making for a quick and easy dinner! Cream cheese and Italian salad dressing mix create a creamy sauce for tender chicken–perfect for your busy weeknight!
This Instant Pot creamy Italian chicken is comfort food at its finest–served with aromatic rice for a hearty dinner your family will love!
Let’s face it–sometimes, the dinnertime hour can be hectic.
Depending on how well the little ones napped that afternoon (or if they napped at all!), how well-stocked your fridge and pantry are, and how much time you have on your hands, the chaos can really throw a wrench into your best-laid intentions.
I know how unpredictable these days can be! Especially with back-to-school season and trying to get into the swing of new schedules after the relaxing days of summer, getting dinner on the table can be challenging.
That’s why I rely so heavily on quick and easy meals, because I’m probably not going to have hours to spend in the kitchen, and you probably aren’t either.
I turn to my Instant Pot to help in this arena ALL the time. It just makes practically everything so much faster and easier!
Such is the case with this creamy Italian chicken recipe. It’s a recipe I used to make in the slow cooker, but I recently adapted it to be made in the Instant Pot…so instead of taking hours to cook, it’s ready in mere minutes.
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Italian Chicken and Rice
Tender chicken and bell peppers are covered in a creamy sauce seasoned with Italian dressing mix, then served over rice for a hearty and delicious meal!
To make preparation even faster, I paired it with this tasty Mahatma® Ready to Serve rice. It’s easy and quick to prepare and easy to clean up, so it makes it simple to get dinner on the table in a flash on your busy nights.
Interested in trying out the Mahatma® Ready to Serve Rice offerings? Hover over the photo to click through to Walmart.com for purchasing.
Mahatma® is the number one selling rice brand in the U.S and it’s grown in the USA. I’ve been using Mahatma® rice for years, and the Ready to Serve varieties can be easily found in the rice aisle at Walmart (and it’s also easy to find online if you do online grocery shopping).
It comes in three different varieties–Garlic and Olive Oil (which paired perfectly with this Italian chicken!), Jasmine, and Cilantro Lime (which would go great with my Instant Pot taco chicken!).
You can click here to purchase the Garlic and Olive Oil variety at Walmart! Life is hectic but meals don’t have to be!
How to Make Creamy Italian Chicken in the Instant Pot
To start, you’ll add some cubed chicken breasts to the insert pot of the Instant Pot.
In a small mixing bowl, combine cream of chicken soup (you can either use a can of condensed cream of chicken soup or homemade cream of chicken soup) with some water and Italian dressing mix.
Pour that mixture over the chicken breast pieces and top with chopped bell peppers.
Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes, followed by a 5 minute natural release. Perform a quick release of remaining pressure and carefully remove the lid.
Add in some cubed cream cheese and replace the lid, allowing the heat inside the pot to melt the cream cheese for a few minutes.
Give everything a good stir, breaking up any clumps of cream cheese. It’s okay if some small clumps remain–you just don’t want any large clumps floating around. Then, use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce a bit.
While the sauce is thickening, grab your packages of Mahatma® Ready to Serve rice and microwave them according to the package directions.
Serve the chicken and sauce over the rice (or, if you want more of a casserole-like dish, mix the rice into the sauce and stir everything together, as seen in the photo below).
Top with some fresh basil and enjoy!
Notes and Adaptations:
- I used regular cream cheese, but you could also use reduced fat cream cheese if you prefer.
- If you are using condensed cream of chicken soup, be sure to mix it with 1/2 cup of water (in addition to the 1 cup of water). If you are using homemade cream of chicken soup, you don’t need the extra 1/2 cup of water.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup mixed with 1/2 cup water OR 2 cups of homemade cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup water
- 0.7-oz packet Italian dressing dry mix
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8-oz block of cream cheese, cubed
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp water
- 2 packages Mahatma® Ready to Serve Rice (I used Jasmine Garlic and Olive Oil variety)
- Fresh basil, chiffonade, for garnish (optional)
- In the insert pot of the Instant Pot, add cubed chicken breast pieces.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together cream of chicken soup (either 1 can + 1/2 cup of water OR 2 cups homemade cream of chicken soup), 1 cup water, and Italian dressing mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture over the chicken. Top with chopped bell peppers.
- Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position. Select a 3 minute cook time at high pressure.
- Once the cook time is complete, allow a 5 minute natural release of pressure followed by a quick release of remaining pressure.
- After pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully open the lid. Add in the cubed cream cheese and replace the lid, allowing the cream cheese to rest in the hot liquid for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid again and stir, breaking up the cream cheese. Continue stirring for a couple of minutes, allowing the cream cheese to melt into the sauce (there may be some very small clumps that remain, but that's okay! We just don't want any big clumps floating around).
- Add in the cornstarch slurry, stirring to combine and allowing the sauce to thicken.
- Heat the Mahatma® Ready to Serve Rice in the microwave, following the package instructions.
- Either serve the rice topped with the chicken and sauce, or mix the rice into the chicken and sauce for a casserole-type dish.
- Top with fresh basil if desired.
Did you make it and love it? I appreciate your 5-Star review!
I love seeing recipes come to life "in the wild!" Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @marginmakingmom or use #marginmakingmom so I can see your creation!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 635Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 169mgSodium: 1647mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 45g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!