Instant Pot Salisbury Steak with mashed potatoes and gravy is a delicious meal that cooks together at the same time! You’ll love the time savings, allowing you to have the classic comfort food on the table quickly!
Instant Pot salisbury steak uses french onion soup to make a delicious, savory gravy. The potatoes cook in the Instant Pot at the same time, making this a fabulous weeknight meal!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Salisbury steak is one of those classic comfort foods that I’ve loved since I was a kid.
Tender beef with a savory gravy paired with mashed potatoes? What’s not to love?
Well, mushrooms. I don’t love mushrooms. So I leave them out of my version…but if you want to add some in, go right ahead!
I’ve been making Instant Pot mashed potatoes for a while now, so recently I decided to test out whether I could make the Salisbury steak in the Instant Pot while also cooking the potatoes.
I love Brittany’s Salisbury steak recipe from Our Home Made Easy, so I adapted it to work in the pressure cooker (if you don’t have a pressure cooker, check out her recipe to see how to make it in a skillet).
It turned out SO well, and it was so easy since everything cooked at the same time!
This dish would also pair fabulously with these southern style pressure cooker green beans.
Are you new to pressure cooking? If so, you can check out everything you need to know to get started making easy pressure cooker recipes.
How to Make Instant Pot Salisbury Steak and Mashed Potatoes at the Same Time
You’ll start by combining some ground beef, french onion soup, breadcrumbs, an egg, black pepper, and garlic powder in a medium bowl.
I use my hands to mix everything well, but you could also use a stand mixer if you prefer. Then, shape that into four round patties.
In a separate small bowl, combine ketchup, french onion soup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard powder. This will become that dreamy gravy!
In the insert pot of your Instant Pot, add some olive oil and heat it using the Saute function. Add in the four patties (if they won’t all fit, you may need to do this step in batches).
Sear the patties for a couple of minutes before flipping over to brown the other side as well.
Turn off the Saute function by pressing Cancel/Keep Warm.
The next step is really important–you need to scrape the bottom of the insert pot to make sure there are no brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. If not, you could get the dreaded BURN message during cooking.
You may be able to simply scrape a spatula under the patties to loosen any bits that are stuck. If there are a lot of pieces stuck to the pot, I would recommend removing the patties to a plate for just a minute, then adding in a couple tablespoons of water and scraping the bottom of the pot well to loosen any browned bits. Then return the patties to the pot.
Next, pour the ketchup and french onion soup mixture over and around the patties. Place the trivet on top of the patties.
In a baking dish or steaming basket that fits in your Instant Pot, place the cubed potatoes. Set the dish or basket on top of the trivet. Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position.
Select a cook time of 10 minutes at high pressure.
While that is cooking, heat some butter, milk, and sour cream until the butter is melted (I do this in a saucepan, but you could also use the microwave).
Once the cook time is complete, perform a quick release of pressure. Carefully remove the lid and lift out the baking dish or steaming basket of potatoes.
Add a cornstarch slurry to the sauce in the insert pot, allowing it to thicken to the consistency of a gravy.
Mash the potatoes and combine them with the milk and butter mixture, mashing until the desired consistency is reached.
Serve the Salisbury steak and gravy with the mashed potatoes and, voila! Dinner is served.
Looking for More Easy Instant Pot Dinners?
I know you’re busy, so the last thing you want to do is spend all day in the kitchen.
That’s why I’ve made it my mission to provide you with easy recipes that your family will love!
First up, you’ll want to check out my list of 40 of the best easy and cheap Instant Pot dinners.
- For Salisbury Steak:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can French Onion condensed soup, divided
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (plain or Italian seasoned both work fine)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 4 medium russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp sour cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine ground beef, 1/3 cup french onion soup, breadcrumbs, egg, pepper and garlic powder. Mixing this together until combined well (I use my hands for this, but you can also use a stand mixer if you prefer). Shape into four round patties.
- In a small bowl, combine ketchup, remaining french onion soup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard powder, mixing well.
- In the insert pot of the Instant Pot, add olive oil and press the Saute button to heat the oil. Add the patties to the hot oil, searing the patties for a couple of minutes on one side before flipping over and searing the other side (depending on how large you made the patties, you may need to do this in two batches).
- Turn off the Saute function by pressing Cancel/Keep Warm.
- Once the patties are browned on both sides, it's important to scrape the bottom of the insert pot to loosen any browned bits. You may be able to do this by scraping a spatula under each patty, or you may need to remove the patties to a plate while you scrape the bottom, then return the patties to the pot.
- Pour the sauce mixture over and around the patties. Place the trivet on top of the patties.
- In a baking dish that fits into your Instant Pot, place cubed potatoes. Lower this dish on top of the trivet. Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position.
- Select a cook time of 10 minutes at high pressure.
- While that is cooking, heat up the milk, butter, and sour cream (if using) for the potatoes. I do this in a small saucepan, but you could also use a microwave. You just want the butter to be melted and the milk to be hot.
- Once the cook time is complete, perform a quick release of pressure. After the pressure releases and the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- Lift the baking dish of potatoes out of the Instant Pot, and remove the trivet.
- Make a cornstarch slurry with cornstarch and 1 Tbsp water, then pour that into the insert pot and mix into the sauce, allowing it to thicken to a gravy-like consistency.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes, then add in the hot milk mixture, mashing to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Did you make it and love it? I appreciate your 5-Star rating!
I love seeing my recipes come to life "in the wild." Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @marginmakingmom and tag #marginmakingmom so I can see your creation!
Adapted from Our Home Made Easy
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Steamer Rack Trivet with Handles Compatible for Instant Pot 6 & 8 qt Accessories - Great for Lifting out Springform Pan / Cheesecake Pan
Fat Daddio's PCC-73 Round Cheesecake Pan, 7 x 3 Inch, Silver
Steamer Basket Stainless Steel Vegetable Steamer Basket Folding Steamer Insert for Veggie Fish Seafood Cooking, Expandable to Fit Various Size Pot (5.1" to 9")
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 766 Total Fat: 39g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 178mg Sodium: 802mg Carbohydrates: 61g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 8g Protein: 41g
New to Pressure Cooking?
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family. Plus, you'll get instant access to a FREE printable Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Your Pressure Cooker!
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!