Old-fashioned vanilla mayonnaise cake is so flavorful and moist you won’t even need to frost it. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy a mouthwatering, tasty cake.
Easy Vanilla Mayonnaise Cake is decadent, delicious and simple to make. Simply mix, pour and bake and you’ll have incredibly moist cake in less than a hour.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Admit it. You paused for a moment when you read the words mayonnaise and cake side by side in this recipe title.
I hesitated a bit the first time I learned about using mayonnaise in baking too, but rest assured vanilla mayonnaise cake is decadent, sweet and lusciously moist.
After the initial shock factor has passed and you realize that mayonnaise is mostly just oil and eggs, it makes sense that mayo can be added to cakes and other baked goods.
Peruse any vintage cookbook and you’ll find cake recipes using all kinds of uncommon ingredients.
Sour cream is the secret ingredient in chocolate sour cream bundt cake, and tomato soup adds a rich flavor to the cinnamon and nutmeg spiced tomato soup cake.
Mayonnaise may not be as conventional in modern times, but grandma and great-grandma would have made an old-fashioned vanilla mayonaise cake similar to this one.
And everyone would have raved over the moist, tender crumb and rich flavor.
More Delicious Cakes You’ll Love:
- Cream Cheese Pound Cake Loaf
- Homemade Chocolate Chip Cake
- Easy Preacher Cake
- Applesauce Bundt Cake
- Vanilla Pudding Cake
Vanilla Mayo Cake from Scratch
Mayonnaise is basically oil and eggs and while generations before us likely made their own mayo, there are some delicious ones available in your local grocery store.
I used Duke’s mayonnaise, but you can use any real mayonnaise, including a store’s generic brand. I haven’t tested the recipe with Miracle Whip or other mayonnaise alternatives.
- Don’t Use Olive Oil Mayo. Mayo adds tons of moisture to cake. As long as it’s made with a neutral flavored oil, the mayonnaise can’t really be tasted. Olive oil lends a stronger flavor to mayo which could be detected in the finished cake.
- Use Full Fat Mayo. Light mayo will work but could have a slight effect on the final texture of the cake. Mayonnaise is used in place of oil so you are simply substituting one fat for another.
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients. Bring eggs and mayonnaise to room temperature before adding to the cake batter and it will mix up smoother and creamier. Some lumps are to be expected.
- Don’t Overbake. Vanilla mayo cake from scratch is moist with a tender crumb. Overbaking can deplete moisture, so use a toothpick to check for doneness and pull the cake as soon as the toothpick comes out clean.
How to Make Vanilla Mayonnaise Cake
It’s really easy to make old-fashioned vanilla mayonnaise cake.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All-purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Powdered Sugar (optional)
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Combine the wet ingredients. First, you’ll mix the sugar and mayonnaise on low speed in a stand mixer until combined.
Add eggs and vanilla extract, mixing on medium speed to incorporate.
Mix the dry ingredients. Next, in a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Make the batter. Next, with the mixer on low speed, alternate adding flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
Bake the cake. Then, you’ll transfer the batter to a prepared bundt pan. Bake for about 42-47 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool and serve. Last, you’ll let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then use a knife to carefully loosen the edges of the cake from the pan.
Invert the cake onto a serving plate and cool completely. If desired, dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar before serving.
Notes and Adaptations:
- You can enjoy this cake plain, or dress it up by adding some fresh fruit, whipped cream, or a scoop of ice cream. You could also top with your favorite glaze or icing, if you’d like.
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- Bundt pan
Vanilla Mayonnaise Cake
This vanilla mayonnaise cake is so easy to make! It's a tender cake you can enjoy plain or with some fresh fruit or ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- Optional: powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a bundt pan well with baking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer), add sugar and mayonnaise. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract, mixing on medium speed to incorporate.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared bundt pan. Bake for about 42-47 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then use a knife to carefully loosen the edges of the cake from the pan. Invert the cake onto a serving plate and cool completely. If desired, dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar before serving.
You can enjoy this cake plain, or dress it up by adding some fresh fruit, whipped cream, or a scoop of ice cream. You could also top with your favorite glaze or icing, if you'd like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 404mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 1gSugar: 36gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!
Leave a Reply