This old fashioned applesauce bundt cake with caramel glaze is a sweetly spiced dreamy dessert!
You’ll love this amazing applesauce bundt cake topped with caramel glaze–it’s like eating a caramel apple in cake form!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
You know how some days, you just want a delicious dessert that doesn’t require a lot of effort?
You want to make something that people will rave about, but the reality is you have very little time to spend baking.
Enter the humble bundt cake.
I’m convinced that the bundt cake is one of the most underutilized of the easy desserts.
You just whip up the batter, pour it into a tube pan, and bake! Once it’s done, you don’t have to worry about frosting the cake with perfect technique–you just spoon on some glaze and call it good.
Because it is good. Really good.
Bundt cakes are also really easy to serve–they’re easier to slice than most layer cakes, and you can get several servings from one cake.
And since I adore apple butter bundt cake, triple chocolate bundt cake, red velvet bundt cake, this eggnog bundt cake, the super fun rainbow bundt cake, the decadent chocolate chip bundt cake, and of course this pumpkin spice bundt cake, I decided to try making yet another variety!
I mean, why not?
Applesauce Bundt Cake with Caramel Sauce
The ease of a bundt cake is what inspired me to make this easy apple cake with caramel sauce!
The cake is super moist and full of apple spice flavor!
You can totally just give it a dusting of powdered sugar and it would be delicious. But the caramel glaze totally takes it to the next level–it’s an amazing pairing with the applesauce cake!
You’ll love this caramel apple bundt cake recipe–it’s great any time of year, but it’s especially perfect for the fall! It would also make a delicious dessert for your Thanksgiving dinner!
And I happen to know firsthand that leftover slices of this cake make a tasty breakfast–perfect with a cup of hot tea or coffee! 😉
How to Make an Applesauce Bundt Cake from Scratch
You’ll start by combining the dry ingredients in a bowl–flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
With an electric mixer, combine the white and brown sugars, applesauce, oil, and eggs. I like using oil in this applesauce cake recipe because it helps keep it moist and lofty–and since we’re using applesauce, you don’t need as much oil as most cake recipes.
Then, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and it’s all set to bake!
You’ll bake it at 350F for 50-60 minutes, then allow it to cool before topping it with the decadent caramel glaze.
To prepare the caramel sauce, you’ll combine some brown sugar, butter, and milk in a saucepan.
Bring that to a boil and stir it for about a minute, while the sugar dissolves. Remove it from the heat and let it cool a bit, because that will allow it to thicken slightly.
Then drizzle that caramel goodness right over your cooled cake!
Notes and Adaptations:
- I had some homemade cinnamon applesauce on hand, so that’s what I used for this cake. But you can definitely use applesauce from the store, too!
- The applesauce I used was unsweetened. If you use sweetened applesauce, you may want to dial back on the sugar just a bit.
- If you want to add nuts to the cake, you definitely could! I think chopped pecans or walnuts would be perfect!
- For the Cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine white sugar, brown sugar, applesauce, oil, and eggs. Mix at medium-low speed until combined.
- Turn speed to low and gradually add in flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in the pan for a few minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. Cool completely before topping with glaze.
- To prepare glaze, add butter, brown sugar, and milk to a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter is melted. Increase heat to medium-high, allowing the mixture to come to a boil. Stir for about one minute while the mixture boils. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly (it will thicken a bit as it cools) before drizzling it over the cooled cake.
Did you make it and love it? I appreciate your 5-Star review!
I love to see recipes come to life "in the wild." Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @marginmakingmom and use #marginmakingmom so I can see your creation!
Cake adapted from AllRecipes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 398mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 36gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.