Learn how to make perfect slow cooker apple butter this fall!
This easy slow cooker apple butter is full of flavorful fall spaces and sweet apples. It is the perfect topping to toast, biscuits, rolls, or scones!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
We walked up and down row after row of apple trees, searching for just the right ones to drop into our bags. I inhaled the clear, crisp air and let the sunlight drench my face.
My two older children ran from tree to tree, beaming with pride as they collected their bounty. The colors of the landscape were changing, as the golden and orange hues of fall were transitioning into their rightful places.
This was our first time visiting an orchard to pick apples, and it was a delightful adventure. The orchard hosted several fall-themed activities for children, and it was the perfect way to usher in the season of cozy blankets and warm spices.
We brought home two and a half pecks of apples that day, which is equal to about 25-30 pounds. Eager to put the apples to good use, I decided use some of them to make some applesauce, apple pie, apple crisp, and this delicious slow cooker apple butter.
Tips for Making Homemade Apple Butter Easier
Obviously, peeling and slicing that many apples would take FOREVER by hand. In the past, the preparation was one of my biggest hurdles to making apple-themed foods.
However, discovering this amazing and affordable gadget has made this process so much faster and easier.
Honestly, I was blown away by how well it worked and how quickly I could peel, core, and slice an apple. Where has this thing been all my life?? I also use it to peel potatoes when making mashed potatoes!
Why You’ll Love Making Apple Butter in the Slow Cooker
I’ve made applesauce in my slow cooker many, many times, but I had never made apple butter this way.
I have to admit, this slow cooker apple butter far exceeded my expectations.
It has just the right blend of spices, the perfect consistency, and the addition of the lemon zest really helps to brighten and enhance the flavor profile.
Really, it is SO much better than what you can buy in the store!
Making it in the slow cooker means it is also very easy and mostly hands-off! If you have an Instant Pot, (ya’ll know by now how much I love my Instant Pot), you can use the slow cooker function for this recipe!
How to Make Apple Butter in the Crockpot
It’s super easy to make this apple butter!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Brown sugar
- Apple cider or Water
- Pumpkin pie spice or allspice
How to Make it:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Combine. Add peeled and sliced apples to the slow cooker, along with brown sugar, apple cider or water, and spices. Stir to combine everything.
Slow cook. Cook on low for about 8-10 hours, or until the apples are dark brown and reduced down.
Blend or mash. Use an immersion blender or potato masher to puree the cooked apples to your desired consistency. Ladle into jars or storage containers to cool.
Recipe Notes and Adaptations
- You can use a variety of types of apples to make this slow cooker apple butter. Using more than one type of apples usually results in better flavor, in my opinion.
- It does take quite a few apples (about 6 pounds), but know that it cooks down a lot and I was left with about 4 cups of apple butter when all was said and done.
- I did not go through the proper canning process with my apple butter, but the apple butter freezes very well (just be sure to use freezer-safe jars or containers) and is just as tasty after thawing. Not only that, but a jar of homemade apple butter would make a thoughtful gift!
Uses for Apple Butter
You can even make apple butter bread for a sweet quickbread breakfast or treat! We also love a good apple butter bundt cake (who doesn’t?!). Or, one of my kids’ personal favorites: apple butter snickerdoodles!
It would also be a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table as a topping for hot homemade dinner rolls. *Swoon*
The fall flavors are to die for! What are you waiting for?
- 6 lbs apples
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups apple cider (or water)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or allspice
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Place slices in slow cooker.
- Add apple cider (or water) and brown sugar. Stir in spices to combine well and cover with lid.
- Cook on high for 8-10 hours, or until apples are very dark and reduced down.
- Use an immersion blender to blend apple butter to desired consistency.
- Ladle into jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space if you plan to freeze jars.
- Cool and keep refrigerated (or frozen) when not in use.
Recipe adapted from That Susan Williams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 32gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!