Instant Pot Smoked Sausage and Rice is a hearty one pot meal that can be made in miuntues with just a few igredients.
Instant Pot Sausage and Rice is economical and filling and cooks in under 30 minutes.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
I love warm, homey meals––the kind that can be scooped into a bowl that you can nestle in your hands as you eat. The feeling of the warm bowl paired with the comfort of rice or pasta has a way of soothing the soul.
The hearty combination of sausage, peppers and onions in my easy smoked sausage and potatoes recipe inspired me to make this one-pot pressure cooker smoked sausage with peppers and rice.
I love that this recipe is so simple and filling, yet also frugal. Rice goes a long way, and doubling this recipe is simple to do when feeding a crowd.
And I can cook this entire meal in one pot which means easy cleanup for whoever is on dish duty!
This Instant Pot sausage and rice casserole is the kind of meal that’s loved by both kids and adults. It combines protein, carbs and vegetables in straightforward one-pot recipe.
For a Cajun-inspired variation, try my Instant Pot jambalaya!
More Effortless Instant Pot Meals Using Rice:
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice-a-Roni
- Instant Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Cheesy Italian Meatballs and Rice
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Meatballs with Rice
Customizing Instant Pot Kielbasa and Rice
On its own, this recipe is a favorite simple weeknight dinner option. I love to cook white rice in the Instant Pot, because it comes out perfect every time.
Adding a few more key ingredients brings plenty of flavor and rounds out the meal!
I keep smoked sausage on hand and it’s practically effortless to toss it into the Instant Pot with the other pantry ingredients when I need an easy meal.
If I’ve got some time on my hands or a few extra ingredients in the pantry, it’s simple to customize this recipe to give it a new twist.
- Add Tomatoes: Pour a can of drained diced tomatoes on top of the onions and peppers. Don’t stir and cook as directed. The result is a rich tomato broth and flavorful rice.
- Make It Spicy: This dish is flavorful, but it’s not spicy. If you like some heat you can use a spicy sausage or add chopped jalapeno or red pepper flakes to give it a little kick.
- Swap the Seasonings: I like the simplicity of garlic, paprika, salt and pepper but it’s really easy to swap the seasoning for your favorite blend. You might try Cajun seasoning, taco or fajita seasoning, Italian seasoning or powdered ranch dressing mix.
- Add Cheese: An easy way to make this meal rich and creamy is to add cheese. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of your favorite cheese over the finished rice and stir until the cheese is melted and incorporated throughout. So yummy!
How to Make Instant Pot Smoked Sausage and Rice
It’s really easy to make sausage, peppers and onions.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Olive oil
- Smoked sausage
- Chicken broth
- Long-grain white rice
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Frozen onions and peppers blend
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Brown the sausage. First, you’ll heat oil in the instant pot using the saute function. Saute the sausage for a few minutes on each side then remove it to a plate.
Deglaze the pan. Next, you’ll pour in the chicken broth and use a wooden spoon to scrap up any bits on the bottom. Add in the rice and return the sausage to the pot before adding the seasoning.
Add onions and cook. Next you’ll pour the onions and peppers on top (don’t stir them in). Seal the lid and cook at high pressure for 4 minutes followed by 5 minute natural release of pressure.
Fluff and serve. Last, you’ll release any remaining pressure and open the lid. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
Notes and Adaptations:
- I use beef smoked sausage, but you can use whatever variety you prefer. Kielbasa or turkey sausage would be fine as well. You could also use Italian sausage.
- Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 6-oz smoked sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups frozen onions and peppers blend
- Add olive oil to the insert pot of the Instant Pot. Use the Saute button to heat the oil.
- Add sliced sausage to the hot oil. Saute for a couple of minutes on each side, then remove sausage to a plate. Press Cancel to turn off the Saute function.
- Pour chicken broth into the insert pot and use a spatula or wooden spoon to deglaze the pot, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
- Add the rice to the broth and stir to combine.
- Return the sausage to the pot, and sprinkle in the garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and salt.
- Add the frozen onions and peppers on top (don't stir them in). Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position.
- Select a cook time of 4 minutes at high pressure. When the cook time is complete, allow a 5 minute natural release of pressure, followed by a quick release of remaining pressure.
- After the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid. Fluffh rice with a fork and serve.
- I use beef smoked sausage, but you can use whatever variety you prefer. Kielbasa or turkey sausage would be fine as well.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 733mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 8g
Nutrition is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!