Instant Pot Cajun Boiled Peanuts are a spicier version of the salty snack made famous in the south!
If you love boiled peanuts, you have to try these Instant Pot Cajun boiled peanuts! They’ve got a hint of spicy kick to them, and they’re SO easy to make!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
I spent many of my growing-up years in Charleston, South Carolina and Jacksonville, Florida.
In those areas, it was very common to find roadside stands selling hot boiled peanuts. Sometimes, the stands sold two types–plain or Cajun flavored.
We were typically purists, opting for the plain, salty snack we loved so much.
Depending on how they were packaged, we’d bring home a brown paper bag or Styrofoam cup full of the treat, eating them on the front porch while the juices ran dripped down our wrists.
Since I no longer live in those areas, I’ve had to learn how to make a few boiled peanuts recipes myself in order to satisfy my cravings!
At the recommendation of many readers, I tried Instant Pot Hawaiian boiled peanuts, so then I decided to try making a Cajun version. That’s how this Instant Pot Cajun boiled peanuts recipe was born.
How to Season Cajun Boiled Peanuts
I’ve seen a handful of ways to season Cajun boiled peanuts, and I think it’s one of those things that comes down to personal preference.
Most plain boiled peanuts just use salt and peanuts, but the options for Cajun boiled peanuts vary a bit more.
Some people add Cajun shrimp & crab boil to their peanuts. Some use a lot of hot sauce. Some use Creole seasoning. So if you have a personal preference, go with that! In my case, I used a combination!
I’ll preface this by saying I am a wimp when it comes to spice, so I kept mine mild. You can definitely increase the spice factor, though!
I used a combination of hot sauce and Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, plus sea salt. The result was a lightly spiced and flavorful batch of boiled peanuts!
If you love Cajun flavors, you’ll also love my Instant Pot jambalaya with chicken and sausage!
How to Make Boiled Cajun Peanuts in the Instant Pot
To start, you’ll rinse and sort through the raw peanuts, discarding any debris or severely cracked shells.
Put the peanuts into the insert pot of the Instant Pot along with some Creole seasoning, sea salt, and hot sauce.
Pour in enough water to cover the peanuts well. Because the peanuts float, it’s helpful to weigh them down a bit to keep them in the liquid during cooking.
To do this, I use the trivet that came with my Instant Pot, placing it on top of the peanuts and then putting a heatproof Pyrex bowl on top to weigh it down.
Then, it’s time to pressure cook these babies to tender, flavorful perfection!
How Long Do You Cook Cajun Boiled Peanuts in the Instant Pot?
Normally, I use a cook time of 80 minutes at high pressure. However, for this Cajun boiled peanuts recipe, I use a cook time of 90 minutes.
I find that the extra time helps the seasonings to infuse into the peanuts a little bit better (storing the peanuts in the brine after cooking also helps the flavor to sink in more).
If you like your boiled peanuts to be pretty soft, without much firmness, I’d recommend adding another 10-20 minutes onto that.
Once the cook time is complete, allow a natural pressure release. Once the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, you can carefully open the lid and use some tongs to remove the dish and trivet. Then enjoy!
Where Can I Buy Raw Peanuts?
I have found raw peanuts for sale at Walmart, as well as at a few different grocery stores in the produce section.
If you can’t find them locally, you can also order them from Amazon.
- 1 lb raw peanuts in the shell (not roasted)
- 1/4 cup coarse sea salt
- 2 Tbsp Cajun seasoning (I used Tony Chachere's--see recipe notes below)
- 1-2 Tbsp hot sauce (adjust to taste; see recipe notes below)
- About 6-8 cups of water
- Rinse and sort through the peanuts, discarding any debris or severely cracked shells.
- Add peanuts to the insert pot of the Instant Pot. Add sea salt, Cajun seasoning, and hot sauce.
- Pour water over the peanuts until they are fully covered. Place a trivet on top of the peanuts, then put a small heatproof dish on the trivet to weigh it down.
- Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position. Select a cook time of 90 minutes at high pressure, using the Manual/Pressure Cook button.
- Once the cook time is complete, allow a natural pressure release. After the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid. Use tongs to remove the heatproof dish and trivet.
- If you prefer spicier peanuts, feel free to increase the hot sauce. As written, this recipe yields a fairly mild spice level. You can also increase the Cajun seasoning to taste, adding as much as 1/4 cup, if preferred (this will also make them saltier, so you may want to decrease the salt a bit if you increase the Cajun seasoning).
- You can often find raw peanuts in grocery stores in the produce section. If you cannot find them locally, you can order them from Amazon.
- Storing the peanuts in their brine will allow the flavor to soak in even more.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3612mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.