Flavorful and comforting Instant Pot Chicken Corn Chowder is easy to make and will warm you from the inside out.
Instant Pot chicken, corn and potato chowder is creamy and thick but not too rich. Sweet corn, chunks of chicken, tender potatoes and crispy bacon make this hearty soup the perfect meal to enjoy on a cold day.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Years ago, I started making a meatless recipe for Instant Pot potato and corn chowder that I developed in the early days of my nursing career.
It was hearty, filling and made the perfect meal after a long 12+ hour shift, especially when I wanted something quick and easy.
That potato and corn chowder has been a favorite over the years, but I’ve had people request a similar option that includes chicken.
So, I went back to the drawing board and redeveloped my favorite pressure cooker recipe to make a chicken, bacon and corn chowder.
Yup! Not only did I add chicken but I added bacon, too. You’re welcome! 🙂
Instant Pot Chicken, Corn, and Potato Chowder Recipe
The meaty flavors and added protein let this chowder stand on its own as a meal. Best of all, it’s quick-cooking and requires little prep work.
Whether you need an easy weeknight meal, a dish to bring to a potluck or work gathering or something to make for game night–enjoy a delicious bowl of chowder in under 30 minutes.
More Instant Pot Soups to Warm Your Soul:
- Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder
- Instant Pot Corn, Sausage, and Potato Chowder
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchilada Soup
What’s the Difference Between Soup and Chowder?
Have you ever wondered about the difference between a soup and a chowder? Soups and chowders can include many of the same ingredients. The main difference is that chowders are usually thicker, chunkier and often creamy.
This chicken corn chowder is loaded with chunks of potatoes, kernel corn, bacon and shredded chicken. The creaminess comes from adding milk, cream cheese and shredded cheese.
Corn chowder with chicken is just the type of meal to serve on a cold night when you want to feel warm all over.
How to Make Instant Pot Corn Chowder with Chicken
It’s really easy to make this hearty chowder with some basic ingredients.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Chicken broth
- Chicken breast
- Garlic powder
- Ground thyme
- Black pepper
- Frozen corn kernels
- Russet Potatoes
- Milk (or half & half)
- Cream cheese
- Shredded Cheese
- Green onions
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Saute the onions. First, you’ll set the instant pot to Saute and melt the butter. Add the onions and cook until they begin to soften.
Prepare and cook the chowder base. Next, you’ll add in the chicken broth and chicken breast pieces followed by garlic powder, thyme, pepper, salt, and paprika. Give everything a good stir and add in the frozen corn and chopped potatoes. Seal and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure followed by a quick release.
Shred the chicken and make it creamy. Then, you’ll remove the chicken and shred it with a fork. Combine the milk (or half & half) with the cream cheese and blend it in a blender until smooth. Add both back into the soup along with the shredded cheese, stirring to combine and melt.
Garnish and serve. Last, you’ll ladle the soup into individual bowls and top with chopped green onions and crumbled bacon.
Notes and Adaptations:
- This recipe is all about being simple, so I don’t peel my potatoes. I just give them a quick wash, chop them up and add them directly to the pressure cooker. They cook up tender and the peels add extra nutrients!
- No blender? No problem. You can chop the cream cheese into small cubes and add it along with the milk directly to the soup and stir to combine. It may take a few extra minutes to melt.
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, each breast cut into three pieces
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 12-oz frozen corn kernels
- 3 medium russet potatoes, diced (I leave the peel on mine)
- 1 cup milk or half & half
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheese, such as Cheddar, Pepper Jack, or Colby Jack
- For serving: Sliced green onions and six pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled
- Add butter to the insert pot of the Instant Pot. Press the Saute button to begin melting the butter.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften and start to turn translucent.
- Press Cancel to turn off the Saute function. Add in chicken broth and chicken pieces.
- Add garlic powder, thyme, pepper, salt, and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Add frozen corn and chopped potatoes.
- Close lid and set vent to the sealed position. Select a cook time of 5 minutes at high pressure.
- While the soup is cooking, add milk (or half and half) to a blender with cream cheese. Blend until smooth.
- When the cook time is complete, perform a quick release of pressure. After the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
- Remove chicken pieces to a cutting board and shred or chop, then return to the soup.
- Add in cream cheese mixture and shredded cheese, stirring to combine and melt.
- Serve, topped with sliced green onions and crumbled bacon.
- If you prefer a lot of chicken in your soup, you can double the amount to 2 lbs.
- If you don't have a blender, simply soften the cream cheese to room temperature and cut it into small pieces before adding it to the hot soup. It takes a little bit longer to melt into the soup that way, but it still works fine!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 668Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 163mgSodium: 1616mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 48g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!