This lemon poppy seed cake “bakes” in the Instant Pot and is topped with a refreshing lemon glaze, making it the perfect springtime dessert!
You’ll love this Instant Pot lemon poppy seed bundt cake–it is Spring in a dessert! Made with a doctored-up cake mix, it’s a cinch to make, too!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Growing up, my most-requested birthday cake was a lemon cake.
I’m a chocolate fan through and through, but for some reason, when I had the chance to choose my birthday cake, I always requested my mom make a lemon cake with lemon frosting.
There’s just something about lemon desserts that is perfectly refreshing and reminiscent of springtime!
Why You’ll Love this Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
For starters, this cake is made with a doctored-up cake mix, so it’s super easy and practically foolproof!
“Baking” a cake in the Instant Pot means you don’t have to keep an eye on it or worry about it getting too dry. You just set it and forget it!
Fresh lemon gives it a zippy flavor, and the glaze runs into the cracks and crevices, hardening into a punch of flavor on every piece of cake!
This cake is perfect for any time of year, but I think it’s especially suited for springtime. It would also make a lovely Easter dessert, or even an everyday “coffee cake” to enjoy with a cup of hot tea or coffee!
More Instant Pot Cake Recipes You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot Red Velvet Cake
- Instant Pot Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Instant Pot Rainbow Bundt Cake
- Instant Pot Mint Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
- Instant Pot Mint Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Instant Pot Carrot Cake
- Instant Pot Apple Butter Bundt Cake
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Cake in the Instant Pot with a Cake Mix
Making a bundt cake in the Instant Pot is actually really simple, so you can enjoy this delicious dessert with barely any effort! It’s perfect for those of us who have limited time to spend in the kitchen!
Ingredients You’ll Need for the Cake and Glaze:
- Yellow cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Poppy seeds
- Confectioner’s sugar
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Prep the Pan. First, using cooking spray to grease a 6-cup bundt pan that fits in your Instant Pot. Pour 1 1/2 cups of water into the insert pot of your Instant Pot and put the trivet in place.
Mix the Batter. Next, you’ll beat together the cake mix, oil, water, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Fold in the poppyseeds and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Pressure Cook. Cover the bundt pan tightly with foil, then use a foil sling or silicone sling to lower the pan onto the trivet.
Cook at high pressure for 26 minutes. Allow a 10 minute natural release followed by a quick release of any remaining pressure. Remove the cake, cool slightly and invert onto a plate.
Prepare the Glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and confectioner’s sugar until smooth. Drizzle or brush over the top of the cake, allowing it to settle into crevices. The glaze will harden slightly as it cools.
More Lemon Treats You’ll Love:
Notes and Adaptations:
- If you don’t have vegetable oil on hand, melted butter works well.
- Feel free to omit the poppy seeds if you don’t have any! A plain lemon bundt cake is just as delicious!
- I used an aluminum bundt pan. If you are using a dark nonstick bundt pan, you will likely need to increase the cook time by a few minutes.
- For the Cake:
- 1 3/4 cups yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 Tbsp poppyseeds
- For the Glaze:
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- With cooking spray, grease a 6-cup bundt pan that will fit in your Instant Pot. Pour 1 1/2 cups of water into the insert pot of the Instant Pot and set the trivet in place.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat together cake mix, oil, water, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase speed to medium-high and beat for two more minutes.
- Fold in poppyseeds. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Cover pan tightly with foil and use a sling to lower onto the trivet.
- Close lid and set the vent to the sealed position. Select a cook time of 26 minutes at high pressure. When cook time is complete, allow a 10 minute natural release, followed by a quick release of remaining pressure.
- After pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid. Use the sling to lift out the pan; remove foil. Allow to cool in the pan for a couple of minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- Prepare glaze by whisking together the lemon juice and confectioner's sugar until smooth. Drizzle or brush onto cake, allowing it to settle into the crevices. Glaze will harden as it cools.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!