These chocolate snickerdoodles are lightly spiced with a hint of cinnamon, perfectly sweet, and oh-so-delicious!
You won’t believe how quickly these chocolate snickerdoodles disappear!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
I have a long, loving history with snickerdoodle cookies.
Old fashioned soft and chewy snickerdoodles were one of the very first types of cookies I learned to bake when I was a kid, and as luck would have it, they were one of my husband’s favorite cookies growing up, too.
Because snickerdoodles are so well-loved in my family, I also began making pumpkin snickerdoodles (which is a favorite of my daughter).
Then I later created a recipe for apple butter snickerdoodles, which are another hit around here.
But my son’s favorite version are these chocolate snickerdoodles!
Why You’ll Love Chocolate Snickerdoodles
They’re sweet and chocolatey, similar to these brownie mix cookies, but with a hint of cinnamon and then rolled in the classic cinnamon sugar mix.
They are sort of like a Mexican hot chocolate cookie, with the combination of chocolate and cinnamon.
But most importantly, these cookies are soft and chewy, as all good cookies should be!
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Bakery-Style Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Bisquick Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Bisquick Peanut Butter Cookies
How to Make Chocolate Snickerdoodles
It’s really easy to make these delicious, chocolatey cookies!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Vegetable shortening
- Cocoa powder
- Cream of Tartar
- Baking Soda
- Cinnamon Sugar
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Combine dry ingredients. First, you’ll combine the four, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
Cream shortening and sugar. Next, you’ll cream together the shortening and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Make the cookie dough. Then, you’ll gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients to form the cookie dough.
Roll balls of dough into a cinnamon sugar mixture.
Bake. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet.
Bake for about 8 minutes. Be careful not to overbake, or they’ll be dry and crumbly and sad.
As they cool, they’ll fall just a tiny bit, which gives them that classic crackly look we all know and love.
Notes and Adaptations:
- If you prefer a flat cookie, you can use the bottom of a glass to flatten the rolled balls of cookie batter prior to baking.
- Cream of tartar is a classic snickerdoodle ingredient that gives them a hint of tang and is what separates them from plain ol’ sugar cookies. It helps activate baking soda. If you don’t have any on hand, you can eliminate both the cream of tartar AND baking soda (leave both out) and instead add in 1 1/2 tsp baking powder. The taste will be slightly different, but they’ll still be delicious!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For Rolling:
- Combine together in a small bowl: 2 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together shortening and sugar until well-combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Roll the dough into balls about the size of ping pong balls or small walnuts. Then roll each ball of dough in the mixture of cinnamon sugar to coat.
- Transfer dough to baking sheet. Bake for about 8 minutes, until edges are done but center appears slightly underbaked.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!