Making boxed stuffing in the Instant Pot is super simple, and you can dress it up with some delicious add-ins!
Add this Instant Pot stuffing to your holiday dinner menu this year–it’s easy and delicious!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
When it comes to Thanksgiving and other holiday dinners, the meat often takes second stage to the sides, in my opinion.
Sure, I enjoy turkey and ham, but what I really enjoy are the multitude of side dishes to choose from (and the desserts, of course!).
Over the years, I’ve been working on converting many of our traditional holiday favorites into Instant Pot recipes, and that’s how this Instant Pot stuffing was born! It’s now one of my favorite Instant Pot Thanksgiving recipes!
More Instant Pot Holiday Recipes:
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Southern Style Instant Pot Green Beans
- Instant Pot Dinner Rolls
- Easy Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce
- Decadent Instant Pot Pecan Pie
- Instant Pot Nantucket Cranberry Pie
Using Packaged Stuffing Mix in the Instant Pot
Growing up, my family never made stuffing from scratch. We always used boxes of Stove Top stuffing or sometimes packages of Pepperidge Farm Stuffing.
And that’s what I still do, to this day! It’s super easy, and you can “doctor up” a package of stuffing so it feels more homemade, but without all of the work of cubing and drying bread, measuring herbs, etc.
There are some things I think are worth making from scratch for the holidays, but stuffing isn’t one of them.
Making packaged convenience items in the Instant Pot is a great way to save time, which is important around this time of year!
How to Make Instant Pot Stuffing the Easy Way
It’s really easy to make this simple side dish! Feel free to double the recipe if you’re feeding extended family or a larger crowd.
You can also easily tweak this to suit your preferences–leave out the add-ins if you want, and just make the box of stuffing with butter and water.
Using add-ins is a great way to make boxed stuffing taste homemade!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Dried Cranberries
- Diced Apples
- Stuffing Mix (such as StoveTop stuffing)
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Melt butter. First, you’ll use the Saute function to melt the butter in the bottom of the insert pot. Add in the diced celery and stir for a couple of minutes, allowing it to soften slightly.
Add cranberries and apples. Next, you’ll add the cranberries and apples, stirring for just a moment, then add the water.
Pressure cook. Next, you’ll pressure cook on high pressure for just 1 minute. This allows the flavors to meld, and it softens the cranberries and apples. When the cook time is complete, press Cancel and perform a quick release of pressure.
Add stuffing mix. Last, you’ll add the stuffing mix to the hot liquid. Use a fork to mix it in so no dry spots remain, then close the lid and let set for about 5 minutes, so the stuffing mix can absorb the liquid.
Optional: I like to transfer everything to a pretty dish for serving. If desired, you can also pop this dish into the oven for a few minutes to brown the top a little bit. I personally don’t brown the top, but I know some people prefer it that way.
Notes and Adaptations:
- You can definitely adjust the recipe to suit your preferences. If you don’t want celery, apples and cranberries in your stuffing, leave them out! Some people like to add chestnuts, water chestnuts, or mushrooms.
- You can also add in Italian sausage or bacon if you’d like (use the Saute function to cook the sausage/bacon first, then use the grease instead of butter).
- If needed, you can double the recipe for a larger crowd.
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup diced apples
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 oz packaged seasoned stuffing mix (such as StoveTop)
- Using the Saute function of your Instant Pot, melt the butter in the insert pot. Add celery, stirring for a couple of minutes as it begins to soften.
- Add cranberries and apples, stirring occasionally for a minute or two.
- Add the water. Press Cancel to turn off the Saute function, then select a cook time of 1 minute at high pressure.
- When the cook time is complete, perform a quick release of pressure. Once the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
- Add the stuffing mix to the hot liquid, using a fork to mix it in so no dry spots remain. Close the lid and let set for 5 minutes, allowing the stuffing mix to absorb the liquid.
- If desried, transfer to a baking dish for serving. Once in a baking dish, you can also brown in the oven for a few minutes if you'd like.
- You can definitely adjust the recipe to suit your preferences. If you don't want celery, apples and cranberries in your stuffing, leave them out! Some people like to add chestnuts, water chestnuts, or mushrooms.
- You can also add in Italian sausage or bacon if you'd like (use the Saute function to cook the sausage/bacon first, then use the grease instead of butter).
- If needed, you can double the recipe for a larger crowd.
- If you are serving this along with several other sides, you can easily get 6 smaller servings out of one batch. However, if you aren't serving many other sides, you can easily get 4 more sizable servings out of the batch.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 143mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!