Making Instant Pot chicken and Bisquick dumplings is a quick and easy way to enjoy fluffy dumplings without a lot of effort!
Find out how to make Instant Pot chicken and dumplings with Bisquick, putting this pressure cooker comfort food on the table fast!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
I’m a sucker for good old fashioned comfort food! Chicken and dumplings is one of those meals for me. That’s why I’m sharing this recipe for Instant Pot chicken and Bisquick dumplings!
In the world of this busy homeschooling mom, the best recipes for chicken and dumplings are those that are savory and flavorful, remind you of simpler times, and don’t take all day to make!
By now, you probably know I love using my Instant Pot as much as possible to keep meal prep simple. I love converting some of my family’s favorite recipes into Instant Pot recipes!
That’s why I converted my copycat Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings recipe into the best pressure cooker chicken and dumplings recipe. That recipe uses flat, noodle-like dumplings, similar to what you’d get at Cracker Barrel.
But I also really enjoy fluffy, biscuit-like dumplings, like those in this easy chicken and Bisquick dumplings recipe. So naturally, I decided to convert it to a pressure cooker recipe as well, and here we are! 🙂
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Bisquick Dumplings
To start, you’ll heat a bit of olive oil in the insert pot of the Instant Pot, using the Saute function. Add in some onion and celery and allow it to heat and become fragrant.
Add in the chicken breast pieces, chicken broth, water, frozen vegetables, and seasonings.
Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position. Cook at high pressure for 4 minutes using the Manual/Pressure Cook button.
While that’s cooking, prepare the dumpling dough by mixing together Bisquick and milk. Let it sit for a few minutes.
After the cook time is complete, perform a quick release of pressure.
Remove the chicken to a cutting board. Pour in some homemade cream of chicken soup and stir to combine. Use the Saute function to bring the liquid to a low boil.
Shred or chop the chicken and return it to the insert pot, stirring to combine.
Drop in the dumpling dough by rounded tablespoonful. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, then for about 5 minutes covered (I just loosely put the Instant Pot lid on with the vent open).
You can check the dumplings sooner to see if they’re done yet, but I have found that less cook time sometimes results in gummy dumplings, not light and fluffy dumplings.
How Do You Know When Dumplings Are Done?
Biscuit-like dumplings, like these, should be light and fluffy inside, similar to a biscuit.
The outside will obviously be wet from cooking in the broth, but the inside should not be wet and gummy.
Notes and Adaptations:
- Because the surface area in an Instant Pot is a bit smaller than most stockpots, you might find the dumplings getting crowded. Because of this, I try to gently stir them occasionally during the cooking process, so they each get plenty of contact with the simmering broth.
- Feel free to use whatever frozen veggies you prefer, or you can also use fresh veggies.
- I use homemade cream of chicken soup because it’s really easy to make (I promise!) and it adds such great flavor. If you want to use a canned variety, simply combine a standard can of cream of chicken soup with one can of water and use that instead.
- Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker
- Mixing bowl
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, sliced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (about one large or two medium breasts), each cut into 3-5 pieces (If very large, cut into 5 pieces; if medium, cut into 3 pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen vegetables (such as peas, carrots, green beans, etc.)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 2 cups homemade cream of chicken soup
- 2 1/4 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- In the insert pot of an Instant Pot, heat olive oil using the Saute setting. Add onions and celery and warm until fragrant.
- Add chicken pieces, frozen vegetables, broth, water, pepper, salt, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Close the lid and set the vent to the sealed position. Select a 4 minute cook time at high pressure.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the dumplings by stirring together Bisquick and milk until a soft dough forms.
- When the cook time is complete, perform a quick release of pressure. After the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken pieces to a cutting board. Add the cream of chicken soup to the insert pot and stir to combine. Shred or chop the chicken and return to the pot.
- Use the Saute function to bring the liquid to a low boil. Drop dough into the liquid by rounded Tablespoonful.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, then for 5 minutes covered.
- Stir dumplings occasionally to ensure they each maintain contact with the simmering broth.
- When dumplings are done (fluffy and biscuit-like on the inside), press Cancel to turn off the Instant Pot and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 614 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 89mg Sodium: 2277mg Carbohydrates: 56g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 36g