Yes, you can make banana bread in the Instant Pot–no need to heat up your oven!
Learn how to make the best Instant Pot banana bread with this easy pressure cooker recipe.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Banana bread is one of those homestyle comfort foods that I think everyone should have a good recipe for.
It has a way of cheering you up, and the simple act of baking it will make your house smell like a dream come true.
Although I’m partial to my classic sour cream banana bread, I have a soft spot for the best banana bread variations, too–such as adding nuts or chocolate chips, or by making pistachio banana bread, strawberry banana bread, banana pear bread, or chocolate peanut butter banana bread!
Can You “Bake” in the Instant Pot?
You may be surprised to learn that you can “bake” banana bread in your Instant Pot!
The difference is that an oven is a dry heat environment, whereas the Instant Pot is a moist heat environment, so it’s actually not true baking. Instead, you’re steaming the banana bread.
Because of this, you’ll notice that the surface of Instant Pot “baked” goods doesn’t turn golden-brown as it does in the oven–that’s normal!
Instant Pot Cake Recipes to Try:
Why Should You Make Banana Bread in your Instant Pot?
So you may be wondering what the benefits are for making a banana bread in the Instant Pot. Is it better than baking the bread in the oven?
It’s important to note that making Instant Pot banana bread doesn’t necessarily save much time when compared to baking in the oven.
However, this method can be super helpful for those days when you don’t want to heat up your oven for baking. It’s also great for times when your oven is already in use, such as when you’re hosting a holiday dinner and you are juggling making several items at once.
Not only that, but this method is ideal for travelers who may not have access to an oven! I know many people take their Instant Pot in their RVs when traveling, so this would allow them to enjoy a homemade treat without using an oven.
I’ve also found that the moist environment of the Instant Pot really helps to keep the bread moist, so you don’t have to worry about it turning out dry and crumbly.
How to Make Instant Pot Banana Bread
It’s really easy to make this homemade banana bread in your pressure cooker!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- White granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Sour cream
- Ripe bananas
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
How to Make It:
(Full printable recipe is available below)
Combine butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla. First, you’ll cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Next, add the mashed bananas and sour cream and mix (you can read more about what sour cream does in baking).
Add dry ingredients. Last, you’ll add the dry ingredients, mixing the batter just until combined.
Pour the batter into a greased bundt pan that fits in your Instant Pot. I personally find that bundt pans allow food to cook more evenly in the Instant Pot than regular cake pans.
Pressure cook. Cover the pan tightly with foil (to prevent condensation from dripping on the bread while cooking). Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the insert pot of the Instant Pot. With the help of a sling, lower the pan onto the trivet in your Instant Pot. Cook at high pressure for 55 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural release, then a quick release of remaining pressure.
Cool and garnish. Remove the foil and cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. If desired, top with a drizzle of caramel sauce and some pecans or walnuts before serving.
Notes and Adaptations:
- If you prefer nuts in your banana bread, feel free to add 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts to the batter before baking.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 large or 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of water into the insert pot of your Instant Pot and set the trivet in place. Grease a bundt pan that fits in your Instant Pot with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a mixing bowl with an electric handheld mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well to combine.
- Add mashed bananas and sour cream, mixing well until fully incorporated.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon (if using).
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Lower pan onto trivet in the Instant Pot (you can use a foil sling or silicone sling to help make this easier).
- Set the vent to the sealed position and select a cook time of 55 minutes at high pressure.
- Once the cook time is complete, allow a 10-minute natural release of pressure, followed by a quick release of remaining pressure.
- After the pressure has released and the valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid and lift the pan out using the sling.
- Allow banana bread to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- If desired, top with a drizzle of caramel sauce and a sprinkling of pecans.
- If desired, you can add 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts to the batter before baking.
- Topping this banana bread with some pre-made caramel sauce and chopped nuts elevates it to the next level!
- I use this 6-cup bundt pan in my Instant Pot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 390mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Get the Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart
Join the free community and you'll learn simple ways to easily create tasty food for your family, as well as immediate access to the FREE Instant Pot Meal Plan Jumpstart to help you get a tasty dinner on the table in a flash!
"Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in such a friendly and delightful way!!! So far, I'm very impressed with the results...thanks again for your guidance into this new realm of cooking!" -Margaret
Enter my free resource library for my latest printables and resources! Password is 'IHEARTMARGIN' -- please copy and paste that in at the link above. Thanks for being a subscriber!!